2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm installing hardwood laminate in my home, do I have to remove the vinyl in the kitchen or can I lay it right over it?

·
11,765 Posts
pm CORNHUSKER. He is the flooring guru on site. That is if he doesn't see this thread and respond.

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
I did in the bathroom, I figure it is a good moisture barrier. As long as the floor is level you should be fine.

·
Save a Goat, Ride a Cowgirl!!!
3,388 Posts
Fishnut hit it!!!

The laminate will lay right on top. The vinyl is a great moisture barrier that will protect the underside of laminate from the slab.

Brad

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
What is hardiplank exactly, and is it required for hardwood/laminate flooring?

Edit: Sorry to hijack this thread, pm sent instead to CH.

·
3,388 Posts
What we call hardi board

is a product we use on plywood subfloors when installing wood or ceramic. It's a 1/2" sheet that when combined with the plywood gives you a very ridgid subfloor, meaning no flex to break apart the ceramic or laminate or wood.

Brad

·
3,388 Posts
No sir Mr. Shadman

The mortar used for ceramic will not bond to the vinyl. You need to scrape the vinyl and all adhesive up for ceramic.

Call me if I can do anything for ya'll. Or go to my sponsor banner on here and check out my website.

Thanks,

Brad
281-467-4285 cell
713-661-2134 office

·
3,388 Posts
Sorry Shaddy,

I did see a guy that had used liquid nails to put ceramic on top of vinyl tiles. I don't recommend it but there's always a way to ******* something up.
(If you try this method please make check payable to Brad Greuter)

LOL!!!!

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Shad

Trust me if your going to tile a big area have Cornhusker do it. I wish I would have when I did my kitchen, I was sore for days afterwards.

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Fishnut said:
Shad

Trust me if your going to tile a big area have Cornhusker do it. I wish I would have when I did my kitchen, I was sore for days afterwards.
Brad did my house too, very reasonable, great quality and it was all over in 2 days. The kids and the dogs don't have a chance against my tile flooring anymore, lol.

·
3,388 Posts
Thanks guys!!!

Fishnut,Ain't it funny how that stuff hurts a little more each year!!!

Mont, thanks for the kind words my friend. Let me know if I can do anything else for ya.

Brad

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Last summer I put hardwood straight on top of vinyl and it's doing fine. It was almost identical in mil thicknesss to the vapor barrier rolled product in the rest of the house.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.