2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Always imitated... never duplicated.
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok as some of you know I have a staffing company... Today I got a call from a client that one of my manager in training guys called in today... now here's the reason....

MY SUNBURN IS TOO BAD TO PUT ON MY CLOTHES.

This guys was making 45K and going to be raised to 60-70K when going permanent... Now can you all believe this..?

What was he doing laying out NUDE? I mean really.... Anyway. needless to say the sunburn boy doesn't need to worry about going into work we terminated him today...

What's your lamest excuse you have gotten or gave not to go into work?

Jode-

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
LOL, when I was in the USAF, there was a guy who got drunk and passed out under a sunlamp. He was in the hospital 3 days with 2nd degree burns and got court-martialed for abuse of government property. IMHO I don't think the guy deserved to be fired, suspended maybe, and not promoted to management right away, because for whatever reason he had for getting sunburned, it showed a degree of immaturity and bad decision making.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Extream sunburn...that's illness. Maybe he was being honest?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
When I was in the Coast Guard we also had 2 guys pass out on a beach in the Bahamas and got severe 2nd degree burns and neither could work for several days. They did a non-judicial court punishment (Captians Mast) on them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Some people just have really fair skin, like me. In 45 mins w/o sunscrean I can have 2nd almost 3rd degree burns. I have had it happen to me several times. I don't know about fireing him, it may be the truth, but by no means am I makeing excueses for the guy.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
I remember one summer when I was home from college working at a crappy factory/warehouse job ... I was on the phone faking a malady to my boss ... then I got a boot in the @ss. Limped to work.

Loaded used truck tires from the back of trucks onto pallets. It was hard dirty work. Evan harder that day as I continued to walk with a limp. Learned my lesson - and am a better man for it.

LagunaShupe - want me send my Dad over to talk to your manager? Actually, Dad's 'motivational' seminars don't involve a lot of talking … but 20 years later the lessons still remain.

·
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another offense...

He also called in 2 weeks ago with the "I forgot to put my clothes in the dryer and have to dry them so I will be late"....

In my clients eyes and mine too anyway you slice this anyone with those types of excuses aren't management material.

J

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
LagunaShupe said:
He also called in 2 weeks ago with the "I forgot to put my clothes in the dryer and have to dry them so I will be late"....

In my clients eyes and mine too anyway you slice this anyone with those types of excuses aren't management material.

J
repeat offender needs to go...sounds like a very young person

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have heard them all! It's really bad cuz after years of hearing all of these excuses i don't trust anyone. I feel that everyone is lying to me. I reprimanded a guy friday for laying out on thursday and he wrote on the employee comment section "I feel like it would have been a safety hazard for me to come into work. In my intoxicated state i would of been a danger to myself and others around me." At least he was honest....

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
I would have to be pretty sunburn to do go to work. I think I could find some cloths that fit loose enough to allow me to go to work. But then again I go to work when I am sick.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Shupe, give him a BREAK man! He's in training for a government job!

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,507 Posts
I would have sucked it up and showed up anyway for fear of being terminated! When I was younger, I played soccer every weekend and several times I sprained my ankles, severly! I am proud to say that I never missed a day of work because of my injuries. When I say severe, I mean swelling to the size of something between an orange and a grapefuit. Not a pretty sight and very painful. All of this and I was on my feet all day, literally, as a banquet/ restaurant manager. Ah the good old days!
LagunaShupe said:
Ok as some of you know I have a staffing company... Today I got a call from a client that one of my manager in training guys called in today... now here's the reason....

MY SUNBURN IS TOO BAD TO PUT ON MY CLOTHES.

This guys was making 45K and going to be raised to 60-70K when going permanent... Now can you all believe this..?

What was he doing laying out NUDE? I mean really.... Anyway. needless to say the sunburn boy doesn't need to worry about going into work we terminated him today...

What's your lamest excuse you have gotten or gave not to go into work?

Jode-

·
Registered
305 Posts
when i was living in corpus christi in the back of flour bluff once i was late to work cuz a plane crashed next to my house and they had most of the roads closed around my neighborhood. everyone called bs at first till they saw it on the news.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Heres one..."My one armed Grandmother just got out of prison and I have to go pick her up at the Train Station...she has 2 suit cases"

·
You got girlfriend Vietnam?
1,892 Posts
One of our safety managers called in a sunburn excuse once.... He showed up the next day and it was legit. He still looked bad....burnt to a crisp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had an employee tell me that when having a Colonoscopy his lung was punctured which resulted in a collapsed lung causing addtional time off.

·
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I mean...

at least tell me you have the SHEEEEEEETS and can't make it... but a SUNBURN... my client couldnt take that one..

1 - 20 of 94 Posts