2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever stayed on Lake Verret, La? I only ask because we just returned from vacation there and met some of the nicest folks I have ever had the pleasure of spending time with.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Yup...had the pleasure of growing up not too far away.

From my house it took 25min to get to the launch....I used to think it was a long drive, but I finally have perspective in that my current commute, as posted last week, is something on the order of ~40-45min....

...The good old days....
SwampRat!

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, when we were there Mr. Gros who owns the bar/dance hall/marina, made us a turtle sauce piquant that was absolutley great. It also did not hurt that there was plenty of beer on hand and a local cajun was playing.
We stayed most of the time in Vacherie and spent a couple of days on the lake.

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, it was like a dream come frue for me. I love that culture and have always wanted to experience it firsthand. I love Texas but already miss the bayou and the people I met. You two are awful lucky having been blessed with growing up in that setting.

·
Registered
115 Posts
JDS,

I burn I-10 east every weekend to go home and come back on Sunday evenings to work in Houston. Just going home makes the trip worthwhile.

Cajun

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't blame you cajun, I would too.
By the way, I was going to stop by Hebert's to buy some stuffed chickens and boudin but ran out of time visiting with all the folks that wanted to feed us. Is this the best place to but stuff like that or are any of the newer places just as good?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Father grew up in Napoleonville, most of the family on his side still lives there. When I was a kid, we had a camp just on the other side of the canal on lake road going to Lake Varrette. It was alot of fun back then. We still try to visit at least every couple of years. You will meet some of the most friendly and generous folks that you will ever come across there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
JDS,

There are 3 Hebert's locations here in Houston, yes the real Hebert's. I live about 3 miles from the original Hebert's in Maurice. I will be traveling to S.A in a couple of weeks, I can pick some up for you, just let me know.

Cajun

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
What the heck were you doing in Vacherie? Man, you're hitting all the old spots...Did you have a chance to hit des Allemands or Beouf? The perch bite should be doing pretty well in the late evenings....I used to hit those places all the time.

I can remember many a time when my Dad would come home and we had a turtle to clean that he had picked up and Mom sure knows how to cook it up.

SwampRat!
(this thread is killing me)

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had met some cajun's guiding a meat hunt in Bandera. We quickly became friends and, since they did not shoot their limit, I let them shoot a couple of deer off of my place. Long story short, they invited me to come and visit and I did.
We did make it to Lake Des Allmands and raised the catfish cans. Never had heard of anyone catching catfish in cans before but it was interesting. Also fished Bayou Lafourche.
These folks were so nice, they sent us home with homemade blueberry wine, homemade amaretta, cherry bounce, preserved figs,and more hot sauce than you can imagine.
Something else that was interesting was seeing firsthand how they catch turtles.
I been quite a few places but this was by far my favorite vacation ever. As a matter fo fact, we are already planning for next year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts