2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking the Texas Lake stocker site for hybrids, thought I would check Lake Livingston.
They has stocked millions of stripers since 2020. This year LL only got 186K. A might bit short compared to other years. What lake got the millions this year??
We did have a great year with no floods for them to grow.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Not sure but they talked at a meeting last week on Thursday about stocking hybrids in the lake. I really don’t have the exact details because I wasn’t there. Maybe someone that was there will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Should be an article in the Polk County Enterprise about the PC Hookers fishing club meeting last week where Todd Driscoll from Texas Parks & Wildlife talked about LL fish stocking. LL is currently the only location in the state where striped bass are stocked to provide mature females for their hatchery. It's done this way to generate genetic diversity in their striper stock. Mr. Driscoll fully understands that hybrids should do well in LL and should be stocked, but that won't happen until they devise another way to get striper females. TPW is close to doing that and hydrid stocking might begin no earlier than 2023. TPW would stock some hybrid fingerlings, but Mr. Driscoll suggested the private stocking of hatchlings would be very beneficial. Some of the fishing guides in attendance suggested hosting some fishing tournaments to raise money for that.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fact is the LL Dam is a poor location for stripers since the new hydro was put in.
In addition, above the cable is SHALLOW SHALLOW now. The deep hole on the east back near the old ramp is gone.
No females to be had down there.
TPWD caught all there brood fish down there. Not anymore. Sad

·
Registered
14,856 Posts
The one hybrid I caught this year i caught while trolling around the island. I kept catching thee inch white bass and while I was unhooking one the other rod in holder which also had a three inch white bass on it got slammed by a six pound hybrid. If the rod hadn't been in the rod holder and in my hand I bet it would have snatched it out it hit so hard.

·
Retired opinionated old fart
20,094 Posts
If I understand what is going on, the TP&WD would like to keep Livingston just for stripers. However, apparently the temperature of the water coming out from electricity production is too warm for the striper females they want.

The dam has been changed for the worse, and it seems the dam is such now that the TP&WD must change their past practices. The hybrid program is great, I hope striper brood fish are available somehow for the TP&WD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts