2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
If you are new to it a casting cork, or better a slip cork set for about 20" or a little more is a good start.
Use something like a kale hook about 2/0 to 3/0 and lower it down next to the bulkhead with fresh shad, or cast it a small distance but keep it next to the bulkhead. As the shad move out after sunrise you can still catch the cats by casting out from the bank for a while, but you need to fish on the bottom then.
Good luck.
I use a very light weight, about the size of big buckshot about a foot above the hook and fish on bottom. The light weight helps to keep it from hanging up and fish don't feel it when they pick the bait up., let them pull pretty good before sweeping the rod against them, or let the cork go down almost out of site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are new to it a casting cork, or better a slip cork set for about 20" or a little more is a good start.
Use something like a kale hook about 2/0 to 3/0 and lower it down next to the bulkhead with fresh shad, or cast it a small distance but keep it next to the bulkhead. As the shad move out after sunrise you can still catch the cats by casting out from the bank for a while, but you need to fish on the bottom then.
Good luck.
I use a very light weight, about the size of big buckshot about a foot above the hook and fish on bottom. The light weight helps to keep it from hanging up and fish don't feel it when they pick the bait up., let them pull pretty good before sweeping the rod against them, or let the cork go down almost out of site.
I appreciate all the info. Planning on giving it a try soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts