2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morone saxatilis 7-28-06 Lake Livingston

The big stripers have been raiding the south side of the island for weeks. And getting by me for the most part. Today the tide turned and I was lucky to have severe overcast/cloudy skies well into the morning. This kept the big boys feeding past twilight so the snowey egerts can see the action and get over the schools. Snoweys normally don't fly untill daylight. I also changed my tatics and chased birds in earnest. I mean I planned off and ran wide open untill I flanked the schools direction and idled in, left the merc running and cast while the school was up. I caught this bad boy (30"), and many more, casting to surface schools, letting the Hopkins sink to the bottom, and then jerk the fire out of it twice, let it sink back. I mean violently jerk it! I missed many hits on the spoons drop that were so violent it would take my spoon way across the water. This fish was a hell of a fighter, he took it freight train style and his first run had me thinking right away " i hope stuff holds together!"
By the time I could fight a fish to the boat and get it unhooked, the school would be a 1/2 mile across the lake. They were tearing across the lake from the south/west end of the island around the south bank and out across the river to the east side of the lake. Another school took off the opposite way around the north side. I made my choice and stuck with the south school as it was closer. I'm going to try it again tomorrow, but with big stripes you never know untill you go! BTW it was over by 8:00, and boats that were achored by jigging hotspots on the south west corner of the island when I got there had trouble getting to the schools in time, it's best to idle/short troll untill you see them, then it's balls out go to them.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Great report!

Great report, and good to hear you got into the fish. My folks have a house there but have been dry docked all year with the water situation.

What ramp is closest to the Pine Island area that you can still launch a 21' boat from? Used to go out of Wolf Creek but it's too low still.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was up this weekend, and the water is 3' low! STILL! Still drydocked! But the gators are out in big numbers. I'm up by Penwaughs marina, and we've seen a 12', 3', and 2' in the past two weekends. We can hear 'em calling to each other in the late evenings. My sister was feeding the small one ice cubes, but I stopped that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts