2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saturday before light found me and my lady in line about 10 miles from High Island. Not a bad wait really and we were on our way. First Impression. Remember how driving the peninsula you usually could not see the gulf from the highway. Forget that, now you can see it all the way because the berm is not there anymore. Second impression, the authorities really had this well managed. When at my place, a very nice Texas Ranger from Midland arrived and offered water and MREs if we wanted. He was wearing Texas Ranger combat fatigues in OD....never saw that before. The devastation was unbelievable at Gilchrist but the Audubon Village homes still stood there...now, unfortunately, they have an unobstructed view of the gulf. Crossing Rollover pass I had to hand it to the authorities....I bet an engineer or two voted against it, but some risks have to be taken...but I was glad to get to the other side. Crystal Beach is a war zone, but if you own a house..many are still standing. Another thing, Entergy and out of state contractor cherry pickers are putting up new poles....I was astonished to see the poles put by the road, the number of crews drilling holes and putting up pre rigged poles. May take less time that everyone thinks to get power. Finally, the Port Bolivar area is a mix. The Grocery store and La Playita restaurants look beyond repair. But inland towards where own, and Hornbecks, it looks much better. Personally my place had very little real damage. I had water 47 inches above my driveway slab. (that would be a total surge of about 11 feet above sea level because the slab is about 7 feet) But not much evidence of strong water movement or hard wave action. Not one of the hurricane proof glass windows or doors failed ( I had no other shutters). Landscaping is ruined and my single palm tree didnt have time to root in and is MIA. My Suncast outdoor storage box is missing the left door ( I can order a replacement, but the buckets, lawn chairs, etc are there. Inside the first few steps needed cleaning and in the under stair closet there was about an inch of mud. But the walls were clean. Later I will check with the builder on how he will address moisture in the walls and I will see if he will do mine too. I saw some shingles missing on neighboring cottages but no bare wood decking. From every angle I could not see any missing on mine but I will get that inspected. Bottom line, the two living floors were pristine....not even a bad smell. Even my outdoor ceiling fan on the top deck was perfect. Lucky (plus this is an example of new construction methods). Didnt take many pictures because really nothing too bad, but here are three.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Great post, if you ever write a novel or a fiction book or a murder mystery I would like to buy your first book. I was gripping the sides of my keyboard on anticipation of the ending to your post. Good job!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts