2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for recommendations for a revolver for my wife. Best place to buy one and best gun.

Thanks All

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,296 Posts
Smith and Wesson 642 airweight stainless. The stainless frame makes it heavier....it also makes it much more manageable for women who may be recoil sensitive. They typically carry in their purse so a few extra ounces of weight isn't as noticeable
Change the trigger immediately before she ever shoots it. The factory trigger may be the worst trigger on the planet ever. A good trigger job and it is awesome. Find the right grips for her hand. Let her pick those grips.

I highly recommend this setup for women. This is what my wife carries. Countless reasons she loves the revolver over a semi auto pistol.

·
Stepped in what?
9,527 Posts
Smith and Wesson 642 airweight stainless. The stainless frame makes it heavier....it also makes it much more manageable for women who may be recoil sensitive. They typically carry in their purse so a few extra ounces of weight isn't as noticeable
Change the trigger immediately before she ever shoots it. The factory trigger may be the worst trigger on the planet ever. A good trigger job and it is awesome. Find the right grips for her hand. Let her pick those grips.

I highly recommend this setup for women. This is what my wife carries. Countless reasons she loves the revolver over a semi auto pistol.
Curious on the trigger of the 642.

I am very close to buying either the hammerless 642 or the hammered 637.

I've read that the double action trigger pull is 10-12 lbs on both.....and the single action on the 637 is about 2 lbs (surprised it was that light).

How much does it change with a trigger job?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Got the wife a S&W 69 several yrs ago and she didn't like the recoil, even with light wadcutter loads. Got more hand filling grips but that did not fix her problem. She's small @ 5', 110lbs. OK, I came into an old S&W K frame chambered in 38 S&W, an even lighter38 round, with a longer barrel. Still a no-go. She now wields a Ruger LCP .22 that she shoots pretty good and is comfortable with. Yeah, not the ideal SD caliber but she will use it and have instructed to keep pulling the trigger until it goes click instead of bang.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Guys a .38 snubby is a snappy gun, even worse in an air weight frame. A 9mm Glock 43 will have less recoil (and more rounds). I have 2 S&W air weight .38’s and one has a 3” barrel, and they suck to shoot. My wife won’t shoot them, she carries the G43.

The absolute best thing you can do for your wife if she wants a handgun is take her to a range where you can rent multiple guns. Different calibers, brands/models (makes a difference) and platforms (auto vs revolver). Let her decide what she likes and doesn’t like. A gun, especially a carry gun, is a very personal choice.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It isn't cheap, or fun to shoot, but my wife carries a S&W 340PD with crimson trace laser grips. She manages it just fine at the range with and without the laser on (shooting 38+p, not .357). She complained about carrying anything heavier and I prefer the reliability of a revolver over a semi-auto.

·
Waiting on duck season...
2,247 Posts
Guys a .38 snubby is a snappy gun, even worse in an air weight frame. A 9mm Glock 43 will have less recoil (and more rounds). I have 2 S&W air weight .38’s and one has a 3” barrel, and they suck to shoot. My wife won’t shoot them, she carries the G43.

The absolute best thing you can do for your wife if she wants a handgun is take her to a range where you can rent multiple guns. Different calibers, brands/models (makes a difference) and platforms (auto vs revolver). Let her decide what she likes and doesn’t like. A gun, especially a carry gun, is a very personal choice.
This is kind of what I am getting at.... Does she like revolvers or what? Personally I don’t think there are many reasons for anyone to carry a revolver over modern handguns like a glock 43/48 or sig p365 etc. More than a few women carry just that. What’s your argument for a revolver over an auto?

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,296 Posts
It's more like 15 pounds and drags forever. Trigger job gets it to about 8pounds which is great for double action.

Big fan of a revolver over an auto for most women.....unless they are at the range as much as you are with the auto....practice clearing drills and practicing slide impedance drills(because women where dangly clothes and accessories and long hair.) If not....revolver....

·
Registered
495 Posts
I vote for the S&W 642. It might not be a joy to short. Might not have the best trigger. Might not be your first choice. But what it does have is a surprised punch. I have recommend to friends and bought my wife one. (Her 642 was after multiple semi's she did not like. I liked them.) She likes the 642. She puts it in her pursue. If she ever feels threatened. All she has to do is slip her hand in the pursue. Point through the pursue and start going to work. Never reveal it. Never take it out of the pursue. Just blow the bottom of the pursue out. The threat will be DOA before they think they are in trouble. Cannot do that with a Semi. Have the threat try to take a pistol away from her when he does not even know she has it. Won't happen. That is why I say 642. Nothing to snag. Goes bang 5 times. Not slide to worry about. No Safety to forget about. JUST PULL/BANG. Neutralized.

·
Native Texan
10,973 Posts
Hammerless revolver unless, as stated above, unless they have lots of range time to practice "operating" the semi auto pistol. Not just pulling the trigger.

S&W makes the best revolvers in the world, IMO. My wife carries the 340 PD, lightest revolver made, IIRC and you do not want her shooting at you. The 642 is also an awesome revolver. The 442 is a black option that is a little cheaper, same basic revolver.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with the revolver 100%. My wife started out with a Ruger LCR .38, in her opinion it had the best grip and easiest to hold on to. After a bit she didn't like the weight so we went to the range and tested several semi autos and wound up with a SIG238. She carried the sig for a while and didn't like the fact that she had to carry it cocked and locked for quick response, or remember to pull the hammer back or rack the slide, so back to the revolver. She started complaining about the weight again so we tried a Glock 42, no hammer or safety to worry about. Now she isn't comfortable carrying it with a round in the chamber and no "safety". So............ back to the revolver. If your lady doesn't like to spend the range time it takes to become comfortable and proficient with a semi auto stick with the revolver. She will never feel the recoil if she HAS to use it.

·
Jeremiah 29:11
5,812 Posts
Glock 42... .380 Glock. I’ve shot them and they are awesome with little recoil. Plus, you get the Glock reliability

Get her a holster for it. My LTC teacher made a good point when it comes to women’s purses. The first thing the bad guy is gonna target on a woman walking down the street is her purse... bye bye gun.

Plus, what good is it in your purse/backpack if you gotta go through multiple obstacles to get it out. I’d get her a comfortable holster to wear on her side

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,561 Posts
Do not buy a beginner shooter, especially a woman a semi automatic pistol. Years of teaching people how to shoot a handgun has shown me that starting really anyone with a pistol is a mistake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do not buy a beginner shooter, especially a woman a semi automatic pistol. Years of teaching people how to shoot a handgun has shown me that starting really anyone with a pistol is a mistake.
So you recommend a revolver , right ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
You need to take her and let her shoot many different hand guns, revolvers and pistols (semi-auto). No one on here or anywhere can recommend what is right for her. Revolvers may be somewhat simpler to function, but they almost always have a sharper recoil impulse on small carry guns (ie .38/.357 vs 9mm or .380). Modern autos are very reliable, that’s why law enforcement and military around the world use them. But they have their own issues too. Don’t get her something she isn’t comfortable with. Let her shoot and decide. And if she isn’t comfortable shooting at the range and practicing with the firearm, she will never get proficient with it. She will probably flinch or hesitate if she had to use it too. Or just not carry it at all.

And remember, a .22 might not be your first, second or even 10th choice for a defensive carry weapon, but if she’ll shoot it and carry it then it’s better than a .357 or 9mm (or whatever else) sitting at home. Let her decide.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,561 Posts
So you recommend a revolver , right ? Thanks
Yes Eleva...become proficient with a revolver then if she desires move to a pistol. There are too many things that can happen with a semi auto pistol for a beginner shooter to deal with.

·
Charter Member
5,925 Posts
My wife chose the gun she carries. At a gun show, she looked at a lot of them. She finally settled on a Sig P238 380 Auto because it was easy to rack. She shoots better than me.
Note: She is petite. It felt good in her hands and is easy to operate.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
looking for recommendations for a revolver for my wife. Best place to buy one and best gun.

Thanks All
My wife has both a sig 365 and glock26 both are 10+1 but her favorite is the sig 365 right now its hard to find. Try The gungasm.com if anyone can get it he can.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts