2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that alot of people have been using some kind of pen to label their rods with and I was wondering what you use I an needing to do something in silver. can yall help me out? I know that mud hole sells some pens that are silver but they are like 7.00 plus I would have to pay shipping. Is there something that I could get at maybe hobby lobby or garden ridge? Thanks for the help

Ramon

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I know Sharpie brand just came out with a silver pen/marker...................later,Dave

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use Pilot gold & silver gel pens -- they work great and are only $4 for both from Target. I just wish my handwriting was better.

·
Parrothead
148 Posts
I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some extra fine point 'paint pens' in bothe silver and gold. They work great!

Now something I have heard people do and i think I may try soon is using 'heat shrink' material to label blanks. The issue I have is tryin to write on the rounded blank, the pen slips or the letters get a little warped. To fix this, one guy I know get a piece of heat shink material and writes the info on it while it is flat. Then before he puts any guides on but after he does the grips and butt wrap, he slides the material down the blank. Once he gets it in position, he uses a hair dryer so the material shirnks to the blank. He then coats the material with the same epoxy he uses for the butt wrap and guides.

I cant wait to try this out myself. I guess you could even wrap slightly over the material so you would not even see any edges.

Hope it help,
John

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys looks like I will be hitting hobby lobby or target soon I guess you just let it dry for about 24 hours before I do anything to it like flex coat?

Ramon

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Gel pens work great. Consider roughing the surface lightly with a scotch brite pad before attempting to write. This will really help getting the pen to write as the usual surface of a blank is too smooth and you tend to get blank spots in your writing. Also, as learned from the Rodbuilding.org forum a light coat of clear spray paint before applying expoxy will lead to an easy and good looking finish...

·
Gone Fishing
12,004 Posts
Pen touch at Michaels

PenTouch Extra fine metalic ink, dry in seconds and will come off with thinner if you screw up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I went to wal-mart tonight and bought a paint pen with a fine tip. I found out that you can take it off with rubbing alcohol if you mess up and I also learned that writing on these blanks is alot harder than one would think it is.

Ramon

·
Back in da Saddle
10,153 Posts
If you would run a router with a half round bit about 3/8" deep through a 2X4 os something about that size you can craddle the Blank and also have a nice flat surface to rest your hand for writing on the blank ...
John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ramon,G,day mate it's Sharkey here.I used to built custom rods when the eyesight was a bit better than it is today and I used to buy inks such as "Indian Ink" and Gold/Silver inks to write on the blanks with.I used a very fine pen called a mapping pen and I had outstanding results as you can write so tiny with them.These pens aren't self painting pens you have to use them with inks only and I also found if you keyed the blank with fine steel wool it accepts the ink better.Tightlines Sharkey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts