2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas...

i have a 7 month old yellow lab who has been hunting 1 time with me this year, he did well, but, when i did shoot a dove, it fell, he retrieved, but wasn't sure what to do with it, being his first time out, i let him get his curiosity out, but it turned into "he didn't want to heel" back to me or "come" with the bird, he thought it was a new play toy...LOL

anyway, we only dove hunt, not often, but i saved a couple of whole birds in the freezer, what is the proper way to get him to learn to fetch and retrieve the bird back to me and not tear it up?

he does know heel, sit/stay, fetch, retrieves with "here", with his toys or dummy bumper....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Get him retrieving play fetch with a tennis ball and reward him for bringing it back. Work your way up to playing fetch with something that is uncomfortable to his mouth ie. the orange bumpers at academy. They are designed to be "not a chew toy" You want him to associate retrieving with a reward, and not just chewing on the item retrieved. Once he has mastered the retrieving part, switch the tennis ball out with a wire brush in a sock. He will bring it back, but odds are he won't want to hang on to it for long and chew... Jason Slocum

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get him retrieving play fetch with a tennis ball and reward him for bringing it back. Work your way up to playing fetch with something that is uncomfortable to his mouth ie. the orange bumpers at academy. They are designed to be "not a chew toy" You want him to associate retrieving with a reward, and not just chewing on the item retrieved. Once he has mastered the retrieving part, switch the tennis ball out with a wire brush in a sock. He will bring it back, but odds are he won't want to hang on to it for long and chew... Jason Slocum
hey Jason thanks amigo!

he does all of the above already, except the wire brush part...he works well with all his "toys" as far as fetch and all the commands associated with fetch and retrieve....my issue is with a "live bird"...he wasn't sure what to do with it on the first one, then the 2nd he went and got, then took off with it and chewed, didn't eat it, but messed up the feathers pretty good. LOL

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Get you some live pigeons, 4 or 5. They are cheap to keep (chicken scratch and an old dog kennel). And they will last through multiple sessions. I would stay away from the tennis ball and use bumpers and live/dead birds only. But thats just me. I posted a thread about needing live pigeons last year when I first started training my pup and got them pretty quick. Shouldnt be any more than 5 bucks a bird. If you want a trap I've got one.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I would suggest taping a bird wing to the bumper... That way the dog knows what it is supposed to do with the bumper, but you introduce the smell and feathers into the mix.

Graduate up to 2 wings taped on the bumper....

Then move up to frozen birds.....

Then to fresh dead....

Then to live....

·
so much marsh, so little time
58 Posts
x2 on what justin said. wings tapped or rubber banded to the bumper. the only thing i did differently was use a 50' check cord. when mine didn't want to return the "bird" i lead her to heal with the cord. sounds like you have already introduced yours to gunfire. once i got mine used to retrieving without using the cord i started her with primered hulls from about 75 feet away. then worked the gun closer as i saw her comfortable until i was shooting right beside her. mine just turned 1 at the end of nov. she is doing well for her first season. sorry, not trying to steal the thread, just thought this might be helpful to some

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Get you some live pigeons, 4 or 5. They are cheap to keep (chicken scratch and an old dog kennel). And they will last through multiple sessions. I would stay away from the tennis ball and use bumpers and live/dead birds only. But thats just me. I posted a thread about needing live pigeons last year when I first started training my pup and got them pretty quick. Shouldnt be any more than 5 bucks a bird. If you want a trap I've got one.
This is how I trained both of my labs. I recently got some pigeons from a fellow 2-Cooler to get my lab used to dry feathers vs ducks. Worked graet.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Man, I had the hardest time on the planet getting pigeons when i was training my dog..

where the heck were yall!!!!

My traps always got stolen..... and I only found a handful of people who raised pigeons and once I told them what I was using the pigeons for, they wouldnt sell them to me....

Somebody finally gave me the idea one day of taping a fish net onto a reallllllly long pole.... then at night time, I would hit up the overpasses and catch them sleeping....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts