2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we left for weather bouy 2 we call it, 460009 or close to that. its 180 miles offshore and 24 hours to get there. we pulled very few ahis off the area but loaded up trolled mahis. we left to go to the other spot. in 4 days we loaded up with 8000 lbs or more of ahi. we missed 2 marlin, one big boy. we had great seas. on the way in yesterday we hooked a spearfish and we had a 300 lb mako come up to have lunch, the mako was prolly stalking this spearfish for days. we got about a 15 minute video of the mako devouring the chucker. we have some underwater footage too. the mako finally filled up and we took off. he had actually followed the boat and rolled on the purple soft head one time. he seemed really docile, i wanted to get in video but it wasnt my camera or my call.

the mahi in one of the pics was 2 nights ago, we were messin around and i had a small calcutta reel. i took a small j hook and found some twine, i untwined it and tied small pieces of string to the hook. i tied it on the 12 lb test and trolled it next to the large trolling lures back a ways. running 7 knots on a 42 foot raddon, i hook up, after a long battle i get a look at a 20 lb ahi. happy with seeing it and even tho it was a 40 dollar fish, i released it. we didnt have anymore room for it anyway, ok the real story is i lost it after it ran under the front of the ull, i didnt feel like runnin up front in the only high seas wse had the whole trip. i made 2 lures i think we called them the Texas tornado or somethin. i tied it on and hooked up with a jumping mahi mahi about 100 yards back at this time. almost spooled, i started bringing in line on the calcutta. after 15 or 20 we stuck a slap gaff in him. that was the first just fun fishing ive done since i been here. the mahi was closer to 20 lbs, the biggest we had of the 30 pieces. the marlin are starting to show up more and more, there is a strong current coming off the island dropping our speed one knot on the way in. the fishing has been slow in the harbor cause of that. still good fish coming in, we saw a boat backing down ona marlin 5 miles or so from the harbor yesterday. lots of onos showing up here to now, they dont get as big as they do in Texas with the average 20 lbs here o think so far.

we ika fish at night, it is squid fishing, i didnt know you could catch a squid on a jig but you can. they climb all over it. the cap caught this big squid.
i have a short video of the mako and the spearfish, ill email it to someone who knows how to put it on you tube or however you can get it too pop up on here, just pm me and ill email it. its short and in the middle of me runnin the boat and kenton videoing it with the quality camera, i h=just tried to get something short and quick.

adios

tim

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Green Stick

Hey Tim ...Did they show you the green stick technique for when the ahi that have lockjaw. Nothing worse then seeing piles and piles of birds busting water and 150 #plus ahi jumping everywhere and no takers. They deploy the green stick apparatus and the six foot 4x4 bird on the end of it and the ahi just climb on. I remember saying silly me I always fished with the lures in the water. Have you seen any of the traditional Aku boats liftpoling if you do be sure and get some photos,as it is a dying industry. Are you staying in a house yet? I have a friend Joy who lives up on the hill above the Orchid resort that could help out if you are still roughing it Got to get back and meet my boat in Honduras soon ........Tom

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tom, i havnt seen the greenstick work yet but soon will, we have danglers and we pole the fish in at times. we bring in some horses on the stick, kinda a rush. we have a green stick on our boat but we catch on handlines so much. lizard, thanks it is the time of my life. we got in today and will leave again tomorro 36 hours till our first stop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.