2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the Mexican.

"But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the
American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.

The American asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, play the guitar, and sing a few songs... I have a full life."

The American interrupted, "I have a degree in commerce, so I can help you to be a great success! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat."

"And after that?" asked the Mexican.

"With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City! From there you can direct your huge new enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Mexican.

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the American.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? Well my Friend, That's when it gets really interesting," answered the American, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?" said the Mexican.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with the children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings doing what you like and enjoying your friends."

And the moral is:

Know where you're going in life... as you may already be there. ;)

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chiefcharlie said:
Yes Mam...and we are just 6 months behind schedule....Thanks for the Nudge.....
Kind of funny now that i think about it.

Work hard all your life...accumulate lots of stuff. That stuff turns into a heavy anchor that chains you to that job so you can continue the upkeep of all that stuff or the place that houses it.

I know the young pups won't understand because they're still in the 'accumulating' season of life.

Get busy Chief! We've got lots to go do. :D

My new favorite word...SIMPLIFY!

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Monday is Photo...write adds for classifieds day....Phase I.......
We let the kids pick out what they want..the rest is gone....and the race is on...Freedom Soon...

·
Kayak Fisher
7,565 Posts
chiefcharlie said:
We let the kids pick out what they want..the rest is gone....and the race is on...Freedom Soon...
Do I understand correctly??? Is your license plate going to become your address??!! :eek:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bay Gal, thanks that was awsome!

My wife and I are in the process of scaling back now as our last child has left the nest. Finally got a little place on the coast, gonna work enough to eat when and what I want, sleep late, catch a few fish, take a siesta with my wife and spend my evenings doing what I like and enjoying my friends.

Wish I'd thought about all this 25 years ago!

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Mrs Backlasher said:
Do I understand correctly??? Is your license plate going to become your address??!! :eek:
March 1st is our Goal...Mrs B., The kids are down this weekend for final details planning. Full time RVing..5yrs in the planning and praying...Sell it..give it away or throw it away......

The kids can keep our rocking chairs in case we have to come back and settle down.
Robs and I are joining the Q-TIP CLUB...White Floppy Sun Hats and Sneakers........

I need a few more parts replaced and a minor tune up...then my Doc will give me the Green Light....

We will keep the Ranch for a few years....Robs can't go cold turkey on hunting...LOL

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
chiefcharlie said:
Chief, mom's taking a few things and my brother's coming to visit and taking a U-Haul back with him. The family payment plan...or I can repossess it later! ;)

This week is cleaning out the closets, cabinets, and getting ready for the first garage sale. Been learning about E-Bay for the collector stuff.

I hear Baja calling my name! :D I want to go take some lessons from that smart Mexican! LOL

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Affluent Homeless

Great post, hon. Zac told me you had put up a good one while I was out playing in the heat!

chiefcharlie said:
....and the race is on...Freedom Soon...
Daylight's burning, Chief ... we've got a lot to do yet. Found an awesome tag line on that web site you sent to Pam. :) Guess what the 'guvment' calls folks who do what we're planning? See title.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My wife and I are already there. It is great. Come join us.
We sleep until we decide that it is time to wake up. That can be at 6:30, 7:30 , or even 8:30...

maybe 9:30 for my wife as she has problems sleeping some times.

We paid our dues for 35 years..

enjoy the rest of your life like we are trying to do !

blue.dog

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Blue.dog..you have just been added to our favorites list.....

Bob....The kids just left with a load of safekeepings and Heirlooms to Austin...Priority Items are thinning every day....

Loosing all the good stuff first...The rest will mentally depreciate day to day....
The Jacuzzi is the ONLY thing here I'm gonna miss....

I had em all pick what they want...Cause hopefully we are gonna be spending a chunk of their inheritence!!!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
A Life Lesson:

Bay Gal said:
And the moral is:Know where you're going in life... as you may already be there. ;)
Thank you for sharing that!!! It has taken me over forty years to learn that lesson!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts