2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great trip yesterday for Kings but they definitely noticed the 20 inch steel leader I had attached to a Top Dog. Any ideas for leader material to use with topwaters for Kings? Would heavy mono work better or have any of you tried braided lines for this?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I make king leaders for live bait and ribbons. I use #5 malin coffee ss wire, with #4 4x treble hooks. I use about a 5ft. leader so the kings can't tail whip the mono, but it still happens from time to time.

Andy

·
NRA LIFER
3,210 Posts
TX CHICKEN said:
I had a great trip yesterday for Kings but they definitely noticed the 20 inch steel leader I had attached to a Top Dog. Any ideas for leader material to use with topwaters for Kings? Would heavy mono work better or have any of you tried braided lines for this?
Mono will not stand up to a King strike. Try Berkeley Steelon leader. It is braided wire coated with black vinyl. I use it quite succesfully on trolling lures. It may be flexible enough to allow a topwater to work. Let us know how it does if you decide to try it.

Bob

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Try about 5 to 6 feet of 50# braid it works pretty well. Check it after every fish, but it allows the lure to move like it should. Because of the line diameter, you can step up to 80# if you like.

·
Registered
382 Posts
TX C, we had the same problem, water was so clear any steel/ dark leader and the bite went way down. They would follow to the boat but no hits. At one point we just went back to the standard Fluorocarbon leader and reeled the lures as fast as possible. This resulted in continuous strikes, landing only 50% because of the cut off's.
It was cool to watch the kings torpedo out of the water chasing those ripping plastics.

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
Hey guys, what is the best color you've found for the Top Dogs and what you think the heaviest fluro you could use without affecting the action WW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts