2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that this is more of a offshore-type of forum but I was hoping that I might be able to get a few good tips from y'all fellas. After looking at a few of the king leaders sold in stores, I have decided to make them myself... whom better to blame for something failing than myself. I was wondering how everyone makes their king leaders? The ones I saw in the store had three cable drops/hooks all about a hand's length apart and long, headed up with an arm's length section of the same cable... is this the design I should follow or is there better ones out there? I was planning on using thin coated cable for the leaders but I saw some made of wire... any pros to using wire over cable in this case? Is there a certain way all three hooks rig into a bait or should they just be evenly spaced out? Explanations would be great but diagrams, if any, would be fantastic. Thanks fellas.

My buddy(E.J.) and I will be on PINS early Friday morning through Sunday evening trying for everything and anything so stop by... share some sand for lunch/supper with us... or just say hello. I've just tied up some flies that I can't wait to try out on my fly rod so hopefully that turns out alright. We'll be in his silver (well I call it silver) S-10 with an orange kayak somewhere on the south end. See y'all on the sand.

Roy

·
Registered
403 Posts
the triple treble hook rigs are for ribbion fish and other big baits, if using smaller baits only use 2 hooks. i like a 6-7/0 j hook for the first hook and then a small treble for the stinger hook, can also use a j hook here. i assume you guys will be drifting or trolling out the kayak. don't forget about using a good ol spoon for trolling also

Justin

·
Registered
654 Posts
king leaders

I use Malin wire #5, about 5' of leader and #4 4x strong treble hooks. Stinger hooks should be every 5 or 6". For live bait 2 hooks and for ribbons 3 or 4 hooks depending on size of bait. Make all connections with a haywire twist, you can also dress up the rig with a skirt or a king buster. the main thing when fishing these rigs is a lite drag about 2lbs. until fish tire. When you get a big fish you will need to run them down. With these rigs you get many fish side hooked as they try to slash the bait. The fish just have to get close lol. Also you will need many rigs as they are good for one fish. You will spend alot of time making rigs but it is well worth it. I have caught many types of fish on these rigs, kings, wahoo, dorado, sailfish etc. main thing is a lite drag and lite line (20lb).

Andy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, fellas. I'll be sure to bring plenty of supplies with me to the sand to make extra rigs.

Roy

·
Dreamchaser
153 Posts
I would stay away from coated wire since it might be too visible to the fish. Also, when you insert the hooks in the bait, first hook goes up thru the jaw and out the top of the head (this is for ribbon fish), for the rest of the hooks, lay the ribbon fish out flat and then lay the rest of the rig hooks down along the body and identify where the hook should penetrate the next spot, insert that hook thru the body and out the other side, then do the same thing for the last hook. The idea is to insert the hooks allowing the fish to stay straight/flat. If you don't, the fish will be bowed and unnatural looking. Use extra strong hooks. I had a huge king on a few years back at Tall Rock and it broke all three hooks at the bend, they gotta be strong!! Attach the rig to the main line with a minimum 150# rated snap swivel or take the time to avoid the snap swivel by using a plain barrel swivel in black. No weak points because the king will find it!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts