2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs.Capt.Bill here
Bill brought home Kingfish fillets with the skin on them and I really do not have a clue at how to cook them .I wanted to grill them but, with the skin on it will they have a fishy taste?
I have a gas grill no wood . I have them soaking in milk now to try to get rid of that fishy taste.
Now what to use on them.
Nothing spicy I figured someone on here would know.
Thanks for any help,
Lynn
I do know skin side down.

·
Registered
265 Posts
if there fillets just try to get as much skin of as possible.... i would just marinade it in italian dressing if you dont like spicy stuff... its simple and tastes great on the gril.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Animal is right Italian dressing and as far as the grill you dont need wood just some rosemary fresh or if dry just soak it in water or beer for a little while then Q it up............later,Dave

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Dorado Mahi has THE BEST grilling baste ever

Unfortunately, I dont have it here by the computer right now. But if you can find out his email and get in touch with him...it is well worth it. You dontt marinade just brush on and cook the fillets quickly over a hot fire. This is a really great recipe. I would try to fillet off the skins as much a possible.

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
Last night, I cooked some kingfish filets by marinating them in italian dressing for a little over an hour and smoking them with hickory. They turned out pretty dang good if I do say so myself. Of course, I would have been clueless without the help of this board.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Soak in buttermilk 3-4 hours before cooking, you will be amazed at the oil it draws. Then follow with whatever direction you decide. If you are going to grill, rinse first. If you want to pan fry, roll in italian breadcrumbs and enjoy! Yum!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FishinChick
I tried the grill Bill loved it not me. Guess i am spoiled to frying everything I am a southern girl[:)].I am going to try the breadcrumbs next. I still have 2 huge fillets left.
So I get the skin off/ rinse well & soak in Buttermilk/make smaller pieces/the roll in crumbs /then fry ..
Correct?
This sounds better to me than grilled or smoked ..He likes anything grilled .. Guess me and DD are the picky ones.
Thank you,
Lynn

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
That's exactly the way we do it. It is also ok to soak them overnight. We use this method for spanish mackeral also. The kids love anything fried of course! You may want to add a little salt to the breadcrumbs. It really depends on your personal preference for salty foods.

Good luck and let us know if you like it!

FC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts