2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know alot of you out there have kids, as do I. Mine are pretty young (3 & 5) and at this point are starting to get interested in fishing especially my 3 year old....go figure. Anyways to my question, what do all of you with children do when on the beach as far as techniques for them to catch fish? I am talking beach fishing here, but mine are young enough that they won't be able to spend time casting out over and over again. What type of setups would you use in my case? I am sure many of you have been in my shoes wanting your kids to get some action, but they are obviously not going to pick up the 12 footer and 6/0 reel, hell it probably weighs more then my 3 year old.

Your suggestions are much appreciated. Just want to get them going on fishing, and hope to have two more fishing buddies for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
579 Posts
What we did...

After the shock and loss of having to put our dog down this weekend I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to get the kids (and ourselves) a little cheered up so I decided to take everyone fishing.

It was a bank on a pond but the principle is the same, I grew up fishing the coast so just substitute a dock or pier and have at it with the piggies, yellowtail, hardheads, and kroaker..

My boys are almost 3 and 10. The 10 year old has been several times and enjoys fishing. It was the youngest's first trip though.

At first he was more interested in going to the mall and shopping (momma's boy). He did like going to the water though (loves water, every body of water he sees is "his". He even thought the worms were cool (good boy).

We put one under a bobber on one of those little teeny tike zebco reels and rods (you know the Snoopy combo). We throw it out for him and generally hook the fish and he helps reel it in. Thats the idea until he gets the hang of it. Well we get the first bream in and show it to him. He screams and runs off - must be the momma's boy again (though momma has allways loved fishing too). Hmm...not the reaction I had pictured..

We keep catching them and soon he works up the nerve to touch one...he even complains loudly when I throw back "his" fish - now thats my boy. I explain to him why we throw the fish back and he's fine with that. Before long he's touching them and loving the whole scene (as are Mom and Dad).

Have fun and good luck. It will be a blast. I'd just get a couple of those small Zebco combos and fish either on the bottom or under a cork with dead shrimp. The'll murder them.

Earl

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
zebco is the way to go

My 5yr old fishes for the whiting on the beach and the 3 yr old gets a pinch weight on with a finger mullet on it with no hooks.....he has even gotten it taken away by something but nun the less they have fun and the big one catches a few fish .....on a bank where they can hit the water and not each other I load them both with hooks and bait ...I pinch the barb on the little ones rod just to be safe.
joker

1 - 3 of 3 Posts