2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
One Hell Of A Spoonie Killa
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a kenner 21v and I was just a little currious on how it will do outside the bays. It have a 200yama behind it and I wana know how far out from Port A is safe and where to go? Any and all advice will be great. BTW advice on tackle is whould be of much help as well. I have 4 penn 9500ss on surf rods but i'll just buy some American Rodsmith 6' boat rods for them and i have 3 penn 975's.
-Thanks for all your advice and help guys-

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
You should be able 20 miles no problem dependent on gas tankage and sea conditions. Rods and reels should work great.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Like the guys have said 20 miles is a good range and can put you in some good fishing. get a map and look at all the rigs in that range and wrecks like mustang island reef and others, they all hold fish at certain times. The only word of warning is pick your days and becareful coming in the jetty's with a out going tide and a good sea breeze it can get sporty.

Andy

·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geeze, a flats cat 53miles out? I would be too scared to go anywhere offshore without any sides on a boat. LOL

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
when we got to teh dock Saturday evening we talked to 5 guys that went out 50 miles in about a 21' Gulf Coast. Personally I would go out in a boat that size. But the seas were really nice that day. To me 5 people would be really uncomfortable. I like to have no more that 4 on my boat. And sometimes that can be tight.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Make sure you have a reliable fixed mount radio and 8 foot antenna. You can't get help if nobody can hear you. Take your time and pick your weather. Do 10 miles or less the first time to make sure you like it out there, then with confidence you can become addicted to bluewater fishing.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Running a small boat off shore, its more important to be cautious than brave. Cautious means running for shore before the weather has a chance to hit.
In the last thirty years, I have made lots of trips offshore in boats as small as a 19ft Mako. A very few of these trips were as far out as 30 miles, but most were under 20.
At first stay within sight of land, then gradually push the envelope as your comfort level increases and you get to know your boat better.
On a smooth day, the only limit you have is fuel. Trouble is, them smooth days can sometime get rough as hell on the way home. They beat hell out of you doing it, but 20ft bay boats can survive seas that would scare hell out of most guys in a 25 ft offshore boat.
Another thing to remember if you make a mistake and get caught by the weather, a under loaded boat will handle a hell of a lot rougher seas than a overloaded one will. On bay type boats, I like to keep it to three people and not that much gear for offshore trips. That gives you one to fight the fish, one to be deckhand, and one to drive the boat if you got to chase a fish, plus a boat that is not as heavily loaded if the weather goes to hell on you.

·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, thanks for all of your help guys. All this advise is greatly apreciated. Now when ya'll yas to get a gps do ya'll mean the little handheld ones or the console mounted ones? The boat came with a fish finder and a VHF radio lol but not an 8' antena LOL so i guess that might help.
So lets talk about trolling? How to do it? What to use? How fast to go? Do i need downriggers / outriggers? LOL I don't know....

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
You should be able to troll 3 lines without too much incident depending on the location of your rod holders(one on each side and one in the middle further back). You can stick to that untill you get a bigger boat. What you troll depends entirely on what you target. If you target kings get some ribbonfish leaders and troll some ribbons. If you are brave get some ballyhoo and practice rigging them and troll them with some pretty skirts on them. Get some various lures to try out also. I like the bigger lures like the 10.5" yozuri bonitas. I have had a hook up with kings every time I try one for kings.

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
Hey, thanks for all of your help guys. All this advise is greatly apreciated. Now when ya'll yas to get a gps do ya'll mean the little handheld ones or the console mounted ones?

Either will do. The small handheld screens can be a little hard to read while underway, but they are certainly up to the job. I would go for a console mount.

Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts