2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ITS JUST NEVER EASY
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here ever done it? What do you have to do to be in it? Is it a organized thing or is it a decorate your boat and show up? Any help you could give would be appriciated. Thanks hollis.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
We decorate the boat and just show up to watch the parade. If you actually want to be in it, it's fairly easy. Either way, it's always a complete blast.

·
Super Moderator
3,739 Posts
Annual Christmas Boat Lane Parade Dec 12th

December is the Annual Christmas Boat Lane Parade sponsored by the Clear Lake Area Chamber of Commerce the night time spectacle of brightly decorated boats is sensory overload to the extreme. The Christmas Boat Parade is a seasonal favorite. You wont want to miss any of these nautical celebrations of life on Clear Lake and Galveston Bay.The parade can best be viewed along the shoreline and on the Kemah Boardwalk. Information, call 281-488-7676

·
ITS JUST NEVER EASY
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool! Thanks for the help! Think I am going to decorate the little boat and just show up. May be the brightest little 20 footer out there. It will all be weather permiting for me, but I wll give it a shot. Thanks for all the help guys! Hollis.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Went awhile back. The captains meeting and starting point was at Lakewood Yacht Club, left about dusk, then proceeded toward the hotel picking up boats along the way. It was very cold that day and a northern had pushed a lot of water out of the lake and some of the larger vessels were kicking up mud as we turned by the hotel to head back towards the bridge. After going under the bridge you passed the judges stand and turned back at the start of the channel and headed back into the lake. You of course had to have toddy or two to keep warm and that really took its toll as you peered into the darkness heading back under the bridge. The tail end of the parade was now coming in your direction and all you could see were red and green lights everywhere. I didn't have radar back then and it was all men on deck to help figure out the navigation lights from the decorations. Fun was had by all but the next year we just decorated the boat and watched the parade from the middle of the lake.

·
Member - Uncle John's Band
1,582 Posts
I have been in the parade 2 times as a guest on a friends boat about 15 years ago. I suggest if you do enter that you spare no expense on decorations because the 1st year we entered, we didnt go all out and did not measure up to the competition, remember that you are showing your stuff to perhaps 100,000 people. The second year we entered we applied out best efforts and even had an honorable mention at the awards banquet the next morning.
It is a blast to just watch the parade and a thrill to be in it. Hope you enjoy it either way..

·
Right wing nut job, Bitter clinger to 2C
14,926 Posts
I'm going to do it in my 21 Flats Cat this year.. It already looks like a sleigh so the decorations shouldn't be that hard.. I have been looking at 12 volt christmas lights on the net and there are a bunch ta choose from..
Some very expensive ones and some very affordable stuff out there...
Its trying to figure out the reindeer on the bow and towing it down there that is going to be a problem... I may have to rig the last of it when I get there..

·
ITS JUST NEVER EASY
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to do it in my 21 Flats Cat this year.. It already looks like a sleigh so the decorations shouldn't be that hard.. I have been looking at 12 volt christmas lights on the net and there are a bunch ta choose from..
Some very expensive ones and some very affordable stuff out there...
Its trying to figure out the reindeer on the bow and towing it down there that is going to be a problem... I may have to rig the last of it when I get there..
my wife went to wally-world and picked up lights. i have a small honda generator so i think i will be able to run as many as i can hang on it. think i am going to put most of the lights up this coming saturday then the rest at the ramp. i will probably put in over off of hwy 270 under the bridge. if the weather is real nice i might put in at eagle point just to avoid the crowd at the ramp. i will keep my radio on 16 and 68 if you are out there give me a hollar!!!

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
how crowded is it at the boardwalk and along the channel with spectators? is it a sea of humanity? i'd like to see it, but the traffic jams and parking can be atrocious around there at times.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
It always starts with the fireworks going off at Nassau Bay. The whole lake is an idle zone that night and the cops enforce it. The weather is anyone's guess. I have been to it in shorts and in a parka. If the wind is howling out of the north, watch getting out of the channel until you get to the lower end of the lake. Even there, it can be shallow.
It's always a good time.

·
14,926 Posts

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
Using an inverter to make 120 VAC from 12 VDC and led Christmas lights is fairly easy to pull off. I had a generator catch on fire, on my boat, one year and was lucky to get it overboard before it got away from me. Northern Tools and Harbor Freight all have good deals on small inverters.

·
14,926 Posts
Dang I thought inverters changed 120 to 12v... hmmm I will look into it.. thanks...

Electrical is not my thing,, All my tools have arc marks in them...

·
14,926 Posts
Thanks Mont I will look into it... I need the little generator for the fish tanks we have here anyway incase of a power outage.. the inverter would be much easyer on the ears tho, in the boat....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm boatless. Any pointers on where to watch from? I generally refuse to go to Kemah under normal circumstances so I'm certainly not going there for the parade.

·
DOINK
10,027 Posts
how crowded is it at the boardwalk and along the channel with spectators? is it a sea of humanity? i'd like to see it, but the traffic jams and parking can be atrocious around there at times.
I can set up a boat cam and shoot you a live feed. That way you wont have to leave the house and can avoid the crowd!!

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
The Kemah Boat Parade is a very big event for my family. My aunt and uncle live on the water in SSH and we all congregate...cook...eat....and watch the boats go by.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts