2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another 2Cooler and I, Wading Fool, have been looking for the opportunity to get out to do some grinding. Either work, weather conditions or just plain old life kept it from happening until last week…Or so we thought.

I got a PM from WF and it's message was simple. "I need to do some hardcore fishing". My response…"Say when and where and I'm down!" We finally got a date set and the wheels were in motion. Then I get another PM…"Would you mind if a couple of buddies of mine from the board came along?" My response…"The more the merrier". Now the count was up to four, My self, Wading Fool, AggieAngler, and Bevo34.

Our plan was to leave last Thursday and fish the cut where we had heard good reports of fish being caught. I was pumped and prept ready to go and as the week went on my anticipation level was through the roof. Then I get the PM that could have potentially changed everything. WF sends me and drops a bomb…He's hurts his back and is down for the count. He informed me that AggieAngler and Bevo34 were still willing to come down if it was all right with me. I'll have to admit, being that I've never met them before made me a little nervous but I thought back to many a gathering or CCA or SCA meetings where I've met some really good people. So what the hey…Let's go fishing!

We met up at the Love Shack Thursday nights and got the introductions out of the way. Now it's down to business. We put together a game plan according to recent reports and got the gear and tackle in order.

We hit the water at O'dark thirty and were on our way to the first spot. We got there and found plenty of bait working. Our plan to drift was thwarted by the direction of the wind so out we go for a cool morning wade. It didn't take long before we started getting blow ups on our Super Spook Jr's. It was long before I had my first fish on the stringer. As I looked back Jeff aka AggieAngler was working a slough and catching fish at a steady pace. Steve aka Bevo34 headed the other direction and before I knew it I was in my own world just enjoying the morning and the occasional blowup. The winds kicked up and the bite slowed to a crawl. We each got to the boat with some keeper reds and trout to show for our efforts. As we headed to our next spot Steve gave us a play-by-play on a redfish he sight casted his topwater to.

The rest of the morning proved to be uneventful so we set our sights toward the evening where we planned to fish the lights from the boat.

Let me tell you. Trying to keep up with these guys wasn't easy. I would have gotten a bite to eat and heading home for a nap knowing that we were going to be on the water again that evening. Not Jeff and Steve. We proceeded to hit every tackle shop from S.P.I.D. to rockport looking for Jeff's favorite Norton Sand Eel color. I don't thing I've ever met a worse tackle whore than Jeff. At first I was impressed. Then I couldn't help but feel sorry for a man with such a sickness. One thing's for sure. If you're ever in need of anything…and I mean anything, he's got it with hundreds to spare…lol

Finally we got to eat and then they start talking about hooking up the boat and hitting the water again. "Whoa, wait a minute guys. We've been up since 4:15am and I need a little rest". They informed me that they felt fine. Being that they both slept between trips to tackle shops I could see why. So I gave into peer pressure and we were on the water to try a few spots before hitting the lights.

All I can say is O.M.G.! The water in the first two spots was as fresh as I've ever seen it. We bounced around for a couple of hours and were disappointed at the lack of fish present in these sweet waters. Even the dinks weren't anywhere to be found.

Night had fallen so we moved took a nice cool trip to our first lighted spot. No good, lights were not on so we moved onto our next choice. Bait is being terrorized and we've got a good feeling about this spot. Jeff's first cast yields a fat 17" trout that goes into the box. I've got my rig ready so I chunk my weedless Assassin into the lights. Bam! I'm immediately hit and the fish peels off to the right like a freight train. "Cool, a SkipJack" I thought as it raced to the right side of the boat. But then I noticed…it didn't jump. Where's the jump? The fish decided it had enough and headed for the Mexican border. I finally got it close enough to the boat to see and it. BIG TROUT! Is all I could say. Jeff bent over and made several attempts to get her in the boat. Twice he got his hands on her and she eluded him. He finally put his boga on her and got it in the boat. Out of breath and full of adrenalin I asked…"How much, how big?" "6 and a half pounds" he screamed out…" "27 inches long" First cast, first fish! High fives and congrats all around and Jeff quickly took a couple of snap shots so we could get her back in the water. Safely released to fight another day.

The action went on well into the night and before it was all said and done we had a nice mess of trout and an extra red for the fish box.

Needless to say we slept in and per Jeff's request hit the tackle shops one more time before we got on the water. Saturday was much slower fishing as every where we went from Conn Brown to the Midbay reefs was sweetwater galore. We worked our way back through the bays planning to be close to the lights once night fell. We were able to find some green salty water in RedFish Bay and picked up a few fish before night fell. This night was not to be the same as the lack of wind seemed to keep the action to a minimum. Jeff got the exotic fish award for catching a very nice Mangrove snapper and a ribbon fish on a D.O.A. shrimp. WTG Jeff!…lol

We slept in again Sunday morning, had nice breakfast and washed the boat down so we could prepare for departure…As I understand it Jeff had obligations and needed to be home sooner than expected. I hope you enjoyed the movie…lol

All in all it was a great time with lots of stories of memories past and plenty of substance to write this one in the books as a successful trip amongst new friends. Jeff and Steve it was a pleasure and I hope we get the chance to do it again soon.

·
Registered
176 Posts
looks like ya'll had a blast!!!!it's 2cool when you can meet new fishing buddies!!!!Nice report and congrats!!!!!!I think the FDA is actually working on a new cure for the tackleidis addictionis....something to do with patron/budlight and roland martins saltwater juice!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
LOL...ok...I have a problem. My problem is, my checkbook is not big enough for my tackle obsession. LOL

James...as ZZTOP says...."really enjoyed getting it on". (the fish that is)

You held up pretty well to us grinders. I look forward to the next time bro!

Post up that flattering pic of Bevo34!

·
Borders, language, culture
6,344 Posts
Nice report. I'm cool with everything except the part about y'all meeting up at the Love Shack. LOL Whatever the Love Shack is, that just don't sound right

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Stuart said:
Nice report. I'm cool with everything except the part about y'all meeting up at the Love Shack. LOL Whatever the Love Shack is, that just don't sound right
ROFLMAO. I thought the same thing and I even know what the "Love Shack" is. Later, Aubrey

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks for the cool report, story and pictures.

Just one question from a weekend angular.
How do you know how salty (sweet) the water is?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,468 Posts
Aggieangler said:
LOL...ok...I have a problem. My problem is, my checkbook is not big enough for my tackle obsession. LOL

James...as ZZTOP says...."really enjoyed getting it on". (the fish that is)

You held up pretty well to us grinders. I look forward to the next time bro!

Post up that flattering pic of Bevo34!
Jeff the way I see it, it ain't your checkbook, its a storage and boat issue slowing your tackle obsession down, ain't nobody got a big enough Bay boat to tote all that stuff lol

Secondly, we really don't need to know about ZZTop and what happened at the "Love Shack"!! HAHA

And Last, is there such a thing as a flattering pic of Bevo34? Cause i have never seen one!! HA

·
Borders, language, culture
6,344 Posts
85LoneStar said:
Thanks for the cool report, story and pictures.

Just one question from a weekend angular.
How do you know how salty (sweet) the water is?

Thanks,
Scott
Dip your finger in the water and and taste it. You can get a very good idea from looking at the amount of foam in your prop wash while underway.

·
Charter Member
5,938 Posts
ROFLMAO. I thought the same thing and I even know what the "Love Shack" is.
Ditto what Aubrey said! :) I left my pot there one time a looong time ago. Never saw it again! ROTFL!!!
Mike

·
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As per AggieAngler's request...

Here is the most flattering side of Bevo...Say cheese...............!!!

Uh Steve...Jeff made me do it. He told me I could kiss my 50mg's goodbye if I didn't post this pic...lol

And for everybody else remember...What happens at the Love Shack, stays at the Love Shack.

·
Looking for Fish
665 Posts
Ahhh little bit of over share there on that last picture :biggrin:

Going down Friday, finally talked my way in on a trip with a buddy of mine, need to break down and get another boat so I don't have to wait so long between trips..

Nice report.

·
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi2utoo said:
Ahhh little bit of over share there on that last picture :biggrin:

Going down Friday, finally talked my way in on a trip with a buddy of mine, need to break down and get another boat so I don't have to wait so long between trips..

Nice report.
Good luck. The greener saltier water is producing more fish from East Flats to the Lydia Ann Channel and even up to Traylor.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
LOL...too funny. You're right WF, I ain't sure I've ever seen a flattering pic of him either! I think that Haynie bigfoot you are getting next will hold all my stuff fo sho!

As for the love shack....I even heard love came knocking on the door one day offering it up for a pack of cigarettes. Aransas Pass is a tough locale! It takes some cajones to take some kids there.

Already planning and packing tackle for next time!

·
Waterloo..Enough Said!!
1,101 Posts
lol...ya'll can all kiss what you see in that last pic.

Had a great time.

WF...I thought mixers were thingyou went to in college? How's the back?

·
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh ****!!!

I wondered if you had seen what's transpired in this post. How's the new surroundings? BTW, I'll have to show you a new Shimano viser someone donated the last time they were at the Shack...lol

·
Waterloo..Enough Said!!
1,101 Posts
NEw surroundings are good. Been working my *** off. Hopefully we can hook up soon and get on them agian.

How was Vegas? Did you win enough to get you some decent rods?

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
Bevo34 said:
... Did you win enough to get you some decent rods?
LOL...he is about to become a junky!

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Grinding , Love Shack and "getting it on" are 3 terms I never want to see included in another man's fishing report again. :eek:

Other than that....nice report. :D

·
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still in Vegas baby!!!

We're at the airport waiting for our flight. Gotta love Wi-Fi.

We didn't knock them dead but we didn't loose our arse either so it's all good.

More tomorrow...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts