2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a hard time catching thread fin shad lately - I can catch all the huge Gizzard Shad I like ... but no thread fins ... I went Crappie fishing monday night , low and behold - I threw my cast net a couple of times and filled my net up with 3 or 4" threadfin shad ... I can keep them alive for an hour or two in my live well .. However after that I am toast .. It sure would be nice to go up friday night and catch bait and not have to worry about it on Sat.... Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wendell ,the Water Is So Hot Down Here ( 89degrees Or So) We Have To Add Ice To The Water To Help Them Out.they Boil If You Don't .they Can't Take That Heat And Besides That The Ice Helps Add Oxygen,just Add Enough To Keep The Water Cool,dont Put So Much In At One Time That You Send Them Into Shock.just Take You Plenty Of Ice. I Do This With Any Live Bait(fish)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an oxygen infusor , that seems to work well thus far (have had it for two weeks) -- I also have one of those big tubs with the rope handles on the side ... Do you think that if I used this larger tub , the oxygen infusor .. some ice bottles and a little bit of the shad keeper ... That I may have a chance ?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also -- I think I remember something about someone putting there shad in a holding tank and then after they had calmed down -- transfering them to the live tank ... This eliminated the high build up of slime in the water -- Does this ring a bell with anyone ?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I read an article about keeping shad alive a while ago. The author mentioned that shad are very delicate, and that most live-wells or bait wells have too much force to the circulating water, and not enough oxygen being introduced (low dissolved oxygen is probably the leading cause of death of fish kept in a livewell too) into the water. A third barrier to keeping any kind of fish alive in a livewell or bait tank is amonia. Fish soil their water fast, especially if the quantity of water in the bait tank is limited, as it would be in any boat-carried tank... space being the premium that it is on most boats... Think of terms of a home aquarium being able to keep only so many fish per gallon of aquarium size, and you begin to see the situation more clearly... perhaps?

The solution, according to this bait guru, was to purchase a special live-well pump (I will dig up the style of pump for you later tonight) which is designed to introduce a large amount of air into the low flow of the pump. I watched a video of the pump in action and it puts more and smaller bubbles into the water than anything I've ever seen... it makes the water look like you just dropped a handfull of alka-seltzer tablets into it... Too much flow beats up the shad, one reason you find them struggling in the corners of square bait tanks... his design of introducing smaller bubbles into the water makes perfect sense from a physics perspective because the amount of oxygen that a body of water can absorb is directly related to the surface area of that body of water in contact with the atmosphere... so by using hundreds more and smaller bubbles, it allows for a faster exchange between the water in the tank and the air bubble-rich water being circulated through it...
I'm not an engineer, so it is a little hard for me to explain this clearly... but smaller bubbles are better.. more and smaller bubbles is better yet... he claimed to be able to keep ten largemouth bass alive in ten gallons of water... I'd like to see that!!!

If I recall correctly, the thread in which you mentioned a "shad pump" contains a link provided by another contributor, that got me started in all of this. I found a guy on Ebay selling these pumps for about 40$ plus shipping, which I thought was a bit high...

Last word on this post... the amonia for fish defecating in the water can ONLY be reduced through water changes or an elaborate (activated charcoal containing) filtration system that is completely unnecessary if you change the water frequently...
For keeping large quantities of bait alive for prolonged periods, you could build a bait tank (in your basement if you have one) with an aerator and a filtration system used for large fish tanks....

I wasn't going to get one of those pumps until I get the new boat, and after I learn to catch a lot of bait a lot more often...

Tom

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Yep...

Mudhole kid is on the money...Also, partial water changes,especially after you initially catch 'em...Shad shed scales from bein' netted or handled at all.Of course, you know aereation/circulation are #1,and don't put more than you need in your tank.Another big help is "Shadkeeper" or "Baitsaver"...granular(disolvable stuff you put in the tank...helps keep shad calm and protects their scales or whatever.I occasionally use a tank of oxygen w/ a bubbler,but,bein' a Respiratory Therapist ,I have unique access to that!:)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one of those Tom , that is what I meant by an infusor --- Get me the model # you were interested in and I will check the price for you .... The infusor does the job ...

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Ya'll...

They sell'em at BPS...2 different sizes...the o2 infusers....Daggone,ya'll some fast typers!!:slimer:

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
I'll Be Back...

....gotta go"save lives"for a few minutes!!:tongue: :biggrin:

·
Registered
300 Posts
That's The Cheapest And Easiest, If Your Boat Has A Livewell Let It Run A Little At The Time And The Water Will Automatically Refresh Itself.i Have A 32 Gallon Livewell And If I Dont Add Ice And Filter Out The Water Ever Now And Then ,they'll Die . I Agree With Hawkeye Too ,but Run Your Livewell Enough To Keep The Wtaer Fresh. The Bps Is A Hit Too But I Rought It.

·
Registered
728 Posts
From what this "expert" had to say, it's our natural tendancy to try to move TOO MUCH water... the fish are dying, so they must need MORE circulation, right? WRONG... I believe that constant exchange of fresh water HAS to be a good thing... fresh water means that there is less poo in the water to contaminate it, and bringing in fresh water GENERALLY means bringing in more oxygen, but it ain't necessarily so.... some of these dams you fellas fish near are drawing water from the BOTTOM of the upper reservoir where the dissolved oxygen levels are too low to support fish.... Some of the older dams that are constructed in that manner have had oxygenating systems retro-fitted to prevent fish kills...
I don't type half as fast as I think Bro... LOL

·
Registered
728 Posts
Catfish said:
Below Nickajack , they pump air into the water to promote the health ... It really screws up a good depth finder ....
Some of the reading I've done on tailraces and dams indicated that there was a bad problem beneath many of the dams with low oxygen levels... many of the rivers beolw dams wouldn't support any fish life until you got a few hundred yards downstream where the oxygem levels would have increase enough, again for fish to survive. I'm thinking the Army Corps of Engineers may have had their hands in the design and "fix" in lots of these instances....

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm thinking these might be the answer for keeping big fish alive in a small livewell, like most boats have... for a longer period of time. I have heard about a couple of tournaments where you can't weigh in dead fish, thank God, and there just isn't enough room in a bassboat livewell to keep a 50# fish alive for long... if it will even fit in there... I've seen a couple of cooler-livewell designs made from 120 qt. coolers, but I don't think you can get a 50# fish in one of those either... that's another thing I've been trying to work out in my head.. what the heck do you put a 60# + catfish in if you're fishing a tournament and they have a "no stringer" rule and a no "dead fish" rule, not that I plan to run out and fish a tournament any time soon... I thought about building a livewell that would hold a 60" fish (barely) long enough to weigh in... and keep the fish alive, just in case I catch a fish big enough to max out that 110# Scale I'm gonna buy from Wendell LOL.....
One of those oxygen infusers would be an absolute MUST for a livewell, I would think...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts