2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had an easy year this time around as far as birds geting to my tomatoes. But in the last three days they are getting them all. As soon as they start to turn they are on em. If they would eat just one I wouldnt mind so much but they pick at one just enough to ruin it then move on to the next. Does anyone have any good advice on how to keep them out. I have them in planters this year and they are on the porch up by the house. I figured this would help and it did for a while but now they arent even afraid of that anymore. TIA

Zac

·
Ken
541 Posts
Try hanging some mylar tinsel in the plants, or tie foot-long strips of aluminum foil or throw-away foil pie pans around the area. This usually works for us. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
1/4 inch galvanized mesh whatever hight you need. Turn them into cylnder shape and then cut a peice to cover the top,also using a bread twist tie things to keep the sides of the cylnder closed until you need to harvest, and then close it back up again. I hope this helps. If you need a visual let me know...................later,Dave

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Bird netting

You can buy it at Home Depot, or Lowes. Doesn't cost alot, and it's convenient. Just throw it over your tomato cages and bring it down under the pots. (I grow my tomatoes in pots too) The birds can't get through it to get to the ripening fruit, and it's easy for you to lift the pot and reach up under the netting to pick what you want.

Kay:cool:

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Supplies

Crossman Air rifle, 250 count box of pellets, 12 pack of your favorite libation, lawn chair, Clint Blacks killin time, Costa Del Mars and some duck straps to hang the little critters on for their buddies to see = a whole lotta fun.........Yep that will just about do it. :)
Seriously the netting or chicken wire will work, just not as much fun.

tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
red christmas tree balls

They peck on them for a while and then give up. Works best before the fruit gets ripe. dwood

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
C4 explosive shaped round and painted red... Let um peck on that a few times...LOL...

Move plants off yer portch first.....

·
No, not the purple gay kind!
1,810 Posts
Gardens

Well, we had five deer (and yes we did see them - they were there when it got light) come in and eat all the green bean plants and the tops off all our pepper/tomato plants right after everything came up. Will be very surprised if we get much of anything out of it. So, look on the bright side, at least you have fruit - lol!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I hang red styrofoam balls on sticks in the garden before the tomatoes turn, They get their fill of nothing and move on and don't mess with the tomatoes when they do turn red.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Some 1/2" mesh netting draped over the plants and supported with small dia. wood dowls is the best, the birds and other critters will become acoustom to the shiny moving objects and continue on here merry way eating, Also a 1:1 ratio of all purpose flour and corn starch liberally poured in a circle around the base of the plant will keep the worms off the plants.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts