2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some input about keeping a journal. Starting Jannuary first, I have vowed to keep a log of my days on the water. I've found software online but before I start downloading junk, I thought maybe a few 2cooler's might have some experiance on the topic.

Of course the "old school" in me says just get a pen and note pad, but the log books on line look pretty cool.

·
PGA Member
7,828 Posts
I like your idea. what software are you looking into? I'll wait for the wealth of knowledge of the 2cool crowd to jump in, I'd like to follow your lead

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I just use Microsoft Word and Excel to record fishing activity. Use the same Word file to write a summary of each fishing trip. Use an Excel spreadsheet to record all flounder gigging activity which shows date, hours per trip (for engine, air motor & generator maintenance), how many flounder gotten and size, general area where gotten and water temperature from time to time. A year later I go back and see what worked in the past.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm just a pen and notebook guy myself. But, what do you expect from a guy who never had a debit card and still writes paper checks. LOL!!!

I keep up with;
When, where and who I fished with.
Water conditions and temp and BP.
How many fish were kept.
Anything special that might have happened, like looking up and see a barge coming straight at you about 100 yds away. That will cause bad dreams.

Wayner

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I keep up with when, where, fishing conditions, compare it with the "you shoudda been here yesterday" reports, who I was with, if I noticed anything unusual about the boat/motor, and, any good cigars smoked.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
logs

I wouldn't put that stuff on the computer, but thats just me I would right it in a log book the old fashion way like we did before Americans got lazy enought to quit writing letters. What you need to include is WATER TEMPERATURE, TIDES, AREA, BAIT IN THE AREA, BOTTOM STRUCTURE, DEPTH OF WATER, AND DID I SAY WATER TEMPERATURE!!!! Your winds are important only if you used the winds as a tidal movement or they imediately started eating because the wind picked up or layed down, in that case that is an import fact that needs to be remeber and highlighted for future outings. Like for instance you were fishing on a slack tide at a cut on a shoreline without catching any fish and all of a sudden the south wind picked up and started pushing water through the cut then all hell broke loose, thats the little details some of your best trout fisherman on this coast have written down in their logs. But most important especially in the winter is your water temperature and moons phases they are definately the driving factor to remember, I fishing strickly on water temperature this time of year. After all this then the baits used and how they were worked under the conditions of the day are highly important like slow dragging a tail post front under high barometer pressure stuff like that would be a good fact to remember. Other than this what ever you see that stands out and is a main factor that put fish in the boat that day needs to be wrote down and highlighted, and after a few year of cathcing fish consistenly you will have a yearly schedule to follow and then fishing becomes fun and hey even when you get bored all you have to do is just read about all your old trips and you will be brightened up immediately.

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Does the PC app capture data like almost throwing your fishing buddy off the front of the boat when you run aground? There are a lot of intangibles that need to be captured!

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Does the PC app capture data like almost throwing your fishing buddy off the front of the boat when you run aground? There are a lot of intangibles that need to be captured!
You need to take a pic with your cell phone and then insert the pic into your spreadsheet. You got to save those special moments.

·
678 Posts
ive got mine from 1978 to present,all on paper note books,then in plastic binders.all in pencil and pictures paper clipped to em,its fun to go back and look.wife says shes going to chunk em some day,i said when i push dirt you can,lol.ive all ways put down the tide,water temp,b.p. preasure,moon,wind.condition of the water.and what i caught em on,hard plastics,worms,spoons.etc.the colors of lures.ive even wrote the depth i caught em.and of course the time of day.its cool to go back on a certain day and see what you did..reminds me,ive got some old Polaroids (Instamatic's )i need to get reproduced.like i said,pretty cool stuff man you can pass on to friends,family.

good luck

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You're 50 years old. Go fish every chance you get. If you don't catch fish....buy some.....or not.
Enjoy and don't make it too complicated.

KISS - 'Keep It Simple Stupid'

That's just my opinion. Some of my best days fishing didn't involve keeping any fish. None to clean!

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,640 Posts
You guys already covered most of this stuff...

A great log would cover
Water temp
tide speed and ebb / flood
Barometric pressure
Weather - Pre front, low, high, post front
Wind conditions if it's out of the norm
time
lure
bait activity
moon phase

1 - 14 of 14 Posts