2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a kayak, was just too tired of walking around the bay. I was looking for some help on where to take the kayaks, I am looking for good reefs flats and channels. If any one can help me out that would be awesome.
Thanks and Happy holidays

·
Registered
41 Posts
2nd the TKF website.

Also let you know that a guy named Ray Crawford has published two books on the subject, one for the upper coast and one for the coastal bend.

www.texascoastalfishingbooks.com

I like to fish Highland Bayou and Jones Lake. It's the body of water that Tiki Island sticks out into as you see it going over the bridge towards Galveston.

A good place to launch is Louis Bait Camp - you go West on Highway 6 about 1/2 mile from I-45 South before you get to Galveston.

That starts you in Highland Bayou, which is one big channel that drains a bunch of marsh into Jones Lake. You can find an aerial map of the area on Ray's site also.

Bayou Vista is the community you paddle through on your way to Jones. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I usually fish the back side of the pass, but looking to find new areas with structure or or channels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am actually pretty familar with this area, I used to fish it when I was a kid. Is jones lake good during the winter months?

·
Registered
66 Posts
On a warm day after its been cold.
Drift Jones lake with a gold spoon in about 2-3 ft of water and
you will tear the reds up.
Thats were I learned how to successfully land reds out of a yak without a net. Luckly the bite didnt stop so I got to practice. I like Jones lake in the evenings better than mornings.

·
cluck, cluck
274 Posts
I am a kayak "newbie" also (I was tired of restricted access, walking, etc.) and agree the TKF site is an excellant resource. There is also a club here in Houston known as PACK (Paddling Anglers in Canoes and Kayaks) where they have organized trips every month. I believe there is one day trip and one weekend trip scheduled for each month. Their site is www.pactx.com and I have enjoyed trips that I have made with them. If you need a partner feel free to pm me. . . . .

·
richg99
6,891 Posts
Better try http://www.packtx.org/ It is a .org not .com for the PACK group., ( Paddling Anglers in Canoes and Kayaks)

I went to one meeting and was very impressed. The most recent meeting was their Christmas Party so I didn't attend, not being a regular member or anything yet.

I am looking forward to attending some of the fishing trips and becoming more active with that group, also.

Rich... also new to the kayaking/canoe world.
Anyone want to go fishing during the week?

·
cluck, cluck
274 Posts
Thanks richg99,

Brain said .org and fingers typed .com, I appreciate you correcting the link. I am a PACK member since November and yes, I too was impressed with the group as I have been on one club outing and a couple other trips with members.

Yes, since I am currently unemployed I can fish during the week, just pm me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Kayaker

I don't kayak, but do fish a lot in Rockport and they are all over the place. There is an area called the Lighthouse Lakes and it a huge area where the fish are plentiful and the water too shallow for most boats. You can even get a wade fishing/kayak map for the area. It is so big and crazy you need a GPS so you can find your way back out, according to people i know that kayak there. I am buying a skiff to pole the area in an extemely shallow draft boat.(5"). You can launch right off the highway going into Port Aransas, cross the ICW and you are in the lakes, about a 100 yd paddle. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Several years ago, Bill Harvey, who worked for TPW, got lost and spent the night in Lighthouse Lakes. He got the idea for a trail in there with markers so others wouldn't have to spend a night that wasn't planned on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts