2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fishing from a paddle boat...
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The surf is down, and there are reports of Kingfish being caught from the Galviston Piers and Jetties - so I am thinking of giving it a go in my kayak. My plan is to (slow) troll parallel to the beach, about a 1/4 mile off, but I Have never tried for kings, and need some help.

1 - Gear - I have a small Penn 089 that holds about 250yds of 20lb, and a Mitchell 'Riptide 70' Spinner that holds about 200yds of 15lb - will either rig work for kingfish? (I can't afford new tackle now, so springing for a new reel is out of the question) - I have about 150 yds of 30lb spectra that I have been thinking of adding as a topshot to the spinner - I am guessing that would add about 50 - 75 yds of line to it, would that help much?

2 - Bait - I have seen Pre-rigged, frozen, Bally-hoo and ribbon fish for sale at bait shops - are they up to the task? I have a few magazines that show how to rig the baits, but having never messed with 'hoo or ribbons, I am thinking the pre-rigged baits may be good for a newbie. If not the pre-rigged baits, are there any premade leaders that you would trust?

3. Artifical - I have seen plastic ribbon fish for sale at Academy - do these work? Should they be trolled, or sight-casted? What color would be best? ( At $10 for a pack of three, I don't see buying more than one or two packs)

4. Location - Would Galveston or Surfside be better? Also, would those rigs that are about a mile off the Seawall hold any fish?

Anything else?

Sorry if it sounds like I am being cheep, but I am - I have a very tight budget right now, but would like to give it a try if at all possable.

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you are in Galveston and looking for cheap Ribbons, go down to the shrimp dock on Peir 19 around 10:00am and get the ribbons the shrimper get as by-catch. They don't always have them, but when they do you can get all you want for a few bucks and feeze them for future use.

Mark

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Jerry-rigged;
I've caught some kings out of my boat around that far from the beach...maybe
out a little more.
You will probally not be able to troll any lures fast enuf and consistantly enuf to
be effective....
What I would suggest is going to 61st St at the docks and catch you a dozen or
so of piggie perch [pigfish], the bigger the better 4" and up. Put you a 2'-3' single
strand wire leader with a 5/0 -9/0 o'shaughnessy hook, hook the piggie thru the fore-head
or the eye sockets. If the piggies are 6" or bigger I'd add a 4/0 trailer in it's tail.
I'd then drift or slow troll the piggies, one near the surface and one near the bottom.
[Add a weigth if required]
Be sure to have a plan on how you're going to land/handle your catch. It will get
really interesting if you shallow rod gets hit. Most kings are good for only 1 good run
and 2-3 shorter ones, you may only want to fish a single rod.
You could end up catching almost anything from Bull Reds, Sharks, Jackfish and Kingfish.
Think about your "End Game" stradegy for these contengencies.
Good Luck, Let me know how it works out for Ya.
Jackie

·
NRA LIFER
3,210 Posts
Yakkin for Kings

It works. My son-in-law was in a yak down at South Padre and throwing artificials, (don't remember what) and had one come out of the water at the end of the retrieve. Came within inches of hitting him in the face.

Keep that in mind if you throw arties. It might be safer to drag bait in the water!

Bob

·
Old ******
4,527 Posts
Believe it or not...there is a dude in the SKA that fishes exclusively in a kayak. I think he is over in Florida. He even has one of those kingfish bags to keep it fresh while he paddles in. This guy goes out pretty far though. One article I read said that he was nearly ten miles out in the gulf at a tournament.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
There are a few guys I have met at PINS that kayak out 3-5 miles regularly. No problem just be safe and make sure you handle the fish once it gets to the boat and it does not handle you. Ribbon fish rig would be good too. Alot of boaters drift them as well as bumb troll them at low speeds.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,052 Posts
The way we always fish for kings if you just want to get a few is to chum for them and just use cigar minnows as bait. Chumming from a kayak may be questionable but I'd probably give it a try. This is going to be the cheapest way for you to get some king action.

Go to Wal-Mart and get a mesh laundry bag or one of those mesh bait hotels. Then pick up a block of frozen chum at one of the bait shops (the pre-ground stuff that's just frozen in a box) and hang it over the side in the bag. You might want to drift it a little behind the boat since you're in a kayak, I don't know.

Make yourself up sone 18" - 2' single strand wire leaders. I like to use 80# Malin in Cofee color with a black barrel swivel on one end and about a 7/0 J-Hook on the other. Go ahead and tie a black snap swivel on your main line since the wire will probably only be good for a couple of fish before it gets kinked. Use black and coffee to prevent the fish striking the glint of silver or brass.

I like to thread the hook through the eye-socket of the cigar minnows, then measure to where I need to put the hook through the body so that the ring of the hook stays in the body and the bottom of the J goes right between the fork of the tail. I hope that makes sense.

I'd just drift along about 1/2 mile from the beach with the conditions the way they are right now and put the cigar minnows out on a flat line back in the chum slick. Shouldn't take long before you start getting bit. As was mentioned above, think about what your end game is going to be before you get bowed up.

The tackle you have will be fine for kings, especially since you're in a yak and they can drag you around. Let them make the first run and turn them just as they're getting to the end of it (you'll get a feel for this) to prevent pulling the hook. Their mouths are kind of soft. Once you get them to the boat the first time, just keep some pressure on them. After the first run, it won't take much to get them whooped. Since you're going to be so close to the water, I'd wait until you had them at the lazy figure 8 stage under the boat before attempting to mess with them. Their teeth will hurt.

Have fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts