2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Got an early start Saturday morning. Met Navynuke in Winnie at 2:30am. Made our way to the beach around Bolivar. Tbox was already there and we started a surf night wade under a full moon. In the first few casts with tops, Navynuke landed a keeper and a dink for me. That was all the action at Bolivar so me made a move east down toward Crystal Beach. Once back in the water we found lot of dinks and a few better trout knocking top water around. After the sun came up I headed toward High Island to meet up with the plastic fleet of the day.

Once between the piers Alton and a few friends were already starting to set up. The first gut was alive with bait. Thousands of mullet were schooled up and cow nose rays were swimming by ever few minutes. Water color was good and it did not take long to cast net enough bait for the day. Lot of kayakers showed up and we all got rigged and ready. We paddle out about 1/2-3/4 mile and dropped anchor. No color changes and very little bait that far out. Once baits got down it did not take long for the sharpnose to start hitting. The first hour or so we just found small sharks, and lots of them. Everyone was getting hooked up. There was no doubt when the first blacktips showed up. Justindfish hooked up with one that did a great leap right in the middle of all the kayak. This little blacktip was mad and was a great fight.

justindfish with a blacktip

After that the blacktips were in thick. Every few minutes one was in the air. Did not take long for Oscar to get in on the action with a blacktip that was going crazy on the top of the water. Jumped many times to the enjoyment of everyone around.

Oscar with a fiesty blacktip

After pics and release of Oscar's fish I make my way back to my anchor bouy. I was looking around when I heard altonr77's clicker sound off. As he gets into the fish I see him on the surface. Did not jump, but I saw enough of him to know it was big. I quickly reeled my line out of the way as the shark made its way toward open water. This was a big fast fish, altonr77 was disappearing into the open water fast. For the first ten minutes I could only keep up. It was pulling altonr77 as fast or faster than I could paddle For the first ten to fiftteen minutes the fish never changed direction or slowed. About twenty minutes in altonr77 was able to make the fish turn, but then again we were headed back toward cuba. We had been headed in a southwest direction, then the fish turned more east and drug us another half mile down the beach to the east. At about thirty minutes into the fight we still had not ge to see what was dragging altonr77 around. Finally after putting as much pressure as he could we got the first look. Needless to say once we got a look we knew this was a long ways from being over. Once the fish saw us he made a huge run again, and was sticking to the bottom. Finally after a long hard battle the fish starts to circle. This went on for another five or so minutes before altonr77 could get him to the surface. Sure enough it was a big one. We got a few good pics and sent it on ots way. Very impressive catch from a kayak and great job altonr77. I took some video and going to freeze frame shots to see if I can get a measurement. But I know the spinner was right around seven feet in length and massive girth.

altonr77 with a monster of a spinner shark, great catch

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Once the spinner swam away we enjoyed a cold drink. It was a long paddle back to the anchors. I had gps us at a little over 1.8 miles from where we started in a straight line. The spinner had pulled him well over two miles in a zig zag track. We paddle to the beach and took a late lunch break.

After lunch we paddle out about the same distance as before and found that the blacktips had hung around. They were still in thick and making for a fun evening of jumping. Oscar once again hooked a mad one that gave us a great show.

Oscar taking a shower

Oscar with a blacktip shark

justindfish also got into the action with another blacktip shark

The sun was getting low in the sky and by this point I had been fishing for 18 hours, with only an hour sleep in the last 48. I was a little wore out and was napping on my kayak. We decided to drift back to the beach since the light wind was blowing the perfect direction for us to end the day on a drift. This was a good choice, not to long into the drift fish were going into the air. I was sound asleep and woke up by my clicker. As I set into the fish he comes air born, cool sight and enough to get my blood going. He jumps a few times and made a long hard run before I could get him under control.

Jolly Roger with a blacktip

As we were getting pics of my fish we here Oscar screaming. Look over to see a huge splash out in front of him. He was hooked up, but it came unhooked quick. I made my way over to him. He said it was huge, and that he was not prepared for a shark of that size from his kayak. This ended the day in the kayak. Once back on the beach Albert, Oscar's son and assassin had been surf fishing. They had a good day catching a few sharks. One of the sharks they had caught just would not swim away after many attemps.

Albert chilling at the end of a good day

Once again it was great to fish with so many friends. We had lot of newbies this weekend catch there first shark from a kayak. The weather could not have been better. I had a great time and look foward to fishing with everyone again soon.

·
Registered
415 Posts
kayak sharks

Awesome fish!!! wish I could have been there. Fished Bryan beach and caught nothing but skippjacks. Still fun on light tackle.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Wow, great report as always JR. Love reading them, keep em coming! Since I dont plan to yak out and shark-fish any time soon I can at least get a taste of it from you :)

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
U guys are absolutely NUTS! WOW!

·
Registered
547 Posts
how exactly do yall throw a cast net in a kayak?? just wonderin.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
You guys are nuts. It looks looks like fun.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PUTZLINER said:
how exactly do yall throw a cast net in a kayak?? just wonderin.
We were throwing the net in the surf and from the beach.

You can throw a net from a kayak, just get on your knees and chunk away.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
few morepics from the weekend

Big Jake and afternoon showers.

Mario with a good shark,

Big Jake hooked up

Assassin with a sunset shark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts