2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use to kayak out baits in the surf? I'm interested in a yak for mostly yakking out baits. I'm tired of feeling like I'm the bait while swimming out past third bar to drop a bait. Besides, I'm getting too old, fat and tired.

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Boston

There is several good kayaks out there. The one that seems to be used the most in the surf is the Ocean xt scrambler or the Malibu. It would be best for you to try several out if you can. I am currently using a 11'6" Zodiac boat it is a lot quicker and not near as hard but requires a lot more maintenance the a yak.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I use a OK Scrambler. The Frenzy and Scrambler XT are also very popular.
Just about any sit on top yak will work, if you can keep it upright and make it out through the surf. Longer yaks are faster and therefore easier to get through the surf. Wider yaks are more stable so they are easier to keep upright. A deeper seat will lower your center of gravity and make a yak more stable also.
I consider sit inside yaks a death trap in the surf. You can get trapped when it flips and you become disoriented by the surf pounding on you. A sit on top yaks will just dump you off when it flips and you will float to the surface if you are wearing a PFD. PFD is mandatory equipment if you ask me.

BEFORE you spend your money on a yak, try out several and see which one you like best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts