2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions on a removable kayak rack that I can put on the bed rails of my F250 that will support a 12' and 14' yak. They will have to extend over the roof of the truck because I will be pulling my travel trailer. I'm getting more into checking out of state parks and tired of having to always take two vehicles so my better half can tow the boat. I feel that being able to take the kayaks will extend the distance we wan't to camp without having to worry about two trailers/vehicles taking the boat along.

·
Licensed Process Server and PI
413 Posts
If you don't mind a couple of mounting holes in the bed rail,there's this:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200649170_200649170

OR

Maybe a PVC Cube shaped gizmo made out of 3 or 4 inch PCV that sits in the bed of the truck or maybe on the rails and can be held down with a couple of straps? If you cross bolt the connections instead of gluing them, you could take it apart and easily store it when you weren't using it. I'd think it would be strong enough for a couple of kayaks.

·
Hmm, thinking of one.
16 Posts
An over the cab ladder rack (used from Craigslist) then add either pool noodles or thing foam insulation to protect kayaks and tie down straps.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Cheap solution

2 x 4's inserted in the bed 4 corner holes. You'll have to slightly cut away some of the wood for a tight fit. Steel bars across and screw in a plate where the steel bars will screw to the 2x4 supports < Home depot. Pool noodle to pad the steel bars. I did this years ago and made multiple 500+ mile trips at high speeds. You don't loose any bed area either because the yaks are raised. Easy, simple, effective and cheap. Hold them down with ratchet straps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts