2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a "sit on top" kayak for fishing. Can some of you veteran kayak fishermen and women give me some advice on what brands, types, models, lengths, and any other pertinent information? I fish the Matagorda area mainly. I would appreciate any input since I am going to make a significant investment here. Thanks.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Alot of it depends on your height/weight. Popular makers are Wilderness Systems, Ocean Kayak and Malibu along with a few others.

For Wilderness take a look at the Tarpon 120 (12ft) and Tarpon 140 (14ft) or The Ride (13'6).

For Ocean check out the Prowler 13 or 15. The Drifter is another popular one.

For Malibu take a look at the X-Factor, Xtreme or the Pro Explorer.

You might want to take a visit to www.texaskayakfisherman.com this is where most of us yakkers hang out. Tons of good info over there.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Buy a used one - it is the only purchase you will likely ever make that has NO moving parts or things to rust. After father's day there should be plenty of them on the market. I have 2 aquaterra prism yaks and have enjoyed them for about 15 years. Spend you money on a good backrest and paddle, but I'd buy a used kayak. This site has some used ones in the for sale section:
texaskayakfisherman.com

·
Kayak Fisher
7,565 Posts
There's a good deal on a WS Ride on the classified section of TexasKayakFisherman.com if it hasn't been bought yet. It was just posted this morning. It's an '05 WS Ride with factory rudder, a Surf-to-Summit seat with 2 rod holders on the seat back, a fish finder, and a crate for the tankwell. The seller is asking $650 and I think that's a GREAT price for all that.

You just need to add a paddle and a PFD (and rod floats) and you're set!

It's red. :wink:

Here's the link:
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48485

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
My neighbor just bought a Hobie. It has the fin drive system that you operate with pedals, instead of paddling. This thing is so cool. I have fished out of yaks before and when he got this one I tried it out. Man it is the way to go IMO.
the drive system works from to pedals in the boat that you move back and forth with your legs. The whole system slips thru the forward part of the boat where your feet are. The fins hang down about a foot or so and can be retracted to go flat against the hull by pushing the pedals to the max stop for skinny water work, which you then move around like a reg yak with the paddle. It has a hand operated rudder system.
Its 12 ft 7 in. Its a very dry boat even with the slit for the drive system which has a plug you can use if you want to paddle only. It comes with everything i have described plus an anchor and wheel dolly. The drive system lifts right out of the boat. He bought it at BASS PRO. I think it was around 1600.00 which is alot for a yak but If you plan on keeping it and using it for a while I think its well worth it. He was recently out in the yak in a pretty stiff breeze. He said it was great and really did well especially into a strong head wind. He said it was nice have your hands free to do things while he was moving.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
In case you folks hadn't heard, my wife has a serious problem with kayaks. She says she never met a kayak she didn't like. I say she never met a kayak she didn't buy! At one time the two of us had six kayaks. Now we're down to four.
In looking at kayaks, be sure to check out the Hurricane brand. I think you can see one on the Creative Feathers website. They're a lot lighter than the others because of the material they're made from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.