2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with My Kawasaki mule 2500 running on only one cylinder. I turn the mule on, remove one of the spark plug wires, and it dies, I assumed it was the coil and purchased a new one and still have the same problems. What else could it be and is there any way I can trouble shoot the issue?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Did you try a spark plug?

Is there any spark at all from the other plug wire? Poke a screwdriver in the plug wire end and see if it arcs to ground...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did replace both spark plugs with new ones. I just went out and connected the plug wire to a old spark plug and I am getting good fire. I am not very mechanically inclined but I can't seem to see the carbs. Are they bowls on the outside like old smaller engines?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found the carb. It is a single carb system that has two lines (rubber) that run off of it. Are these the gas lines or does the fuel run down the intake manifold?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Doubleover said:
I just found the carb. It is a single carb system that has two lines (rubber) that run off of it. Are these the gas lines or does the fuel run down the intake manifold?
You have a valve stuck open on the cylinder opposite the one you pulled the plug wire off and it stopped running. What happened is that when the valve sticks open the push rod falls free of the rocker arm. To repair simply remove the valve cover and reset the push rod. You will need a helper for the next part. With you hand, maintain pressure on the push rod side of the rocker arm while the helper starts the unit. Once the valve is moving freely shut down the motor and replace the valve cover. The valve cover uses an O-ring for a gasket so you don't need a new gaskets. If you are concerned about you skills and doing this get a friend that fools with cars. The valve train looks like a small block chevy and is very simple.

This problem is caused by fuel gumming up the valve stem. Once you have it operating correcting again put a half bottle of fuel system cleaner (Gumout or other such product) with a full tank of fuel. Then take it for a good long run to get the stuff through the system. Note: The same thing may happen until you getthe system cleaned out, particularly the valve stems. I had the same problem in 1998 and started using Sta-bil in the fuel and have not had the problem again.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts