2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2003 dodge 5.9, about two years ago I replaced my oem filter and air box with a K&N filter and cold air box. Recently while servicing the filter I noticed a layer of fine dust inside the tube, this dust has somehow made it throught the filter. Is this normal for this filter, am I doing something wrong or what? I have since went back to the oem filter, but lost some mpg's. Does anyone have an idea?

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
I can't imagine much dust getting past the filter, but small amounts of very fine particles can. It's not going to capture absolutely everything. Even HEPA filters don't, and they're made for working with asbestos and silica. The definition of a HEPA filter is that it traps all mono-dispersed (single or individual instead of clumped together) particles that are 0.3 microns in diameter or larger.

According to K&N's website, their testing has shown a full life filtration efficiency of between 96% and 99%, so some dust is going to get through. If it is very fine dust as you stated, then I imagine it is working as intended, as long as you're keeping it properly oiled. In fact, in should be working much better than your OEM filter. As a test, leave the OEM filter in for about a month and re-inspect. My guess is you'll find more dust than with the K&N in place.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good ol Engine Duster K& N for you. Oil wetted gauze filters is old technology. Look at AMSOIL Ea Air filters then get best of both worlds.

·
Registered
864 Posts
K&N filters were originally designed for off road use where a standard filter would clog due to high dust conditions. The simple fact is that K&N filters flow better because they do not filter as well as standard filter. Dusting an engine is not good for it.

·
Will Rogers damned sure never met Obama
4,211 Posts
Have an 05 Cummins that got dusted with a KN and now is using 1 qt of oil per 300-500 miles. Wish somebody had told me that they were made for the track and not off road. My Cummins has got blowback across all 6cyl. At 6000.00 for a rebuild it is not worth the extra 5-10 hp you get using the KN. Just saying ya'll might think it over..

·
Adrift on the Mother Lagoon
828 Posts
They where never designed for a MAS system. That dust is from the oil on the filter coating the intake tubes. Does wonders for that little wire or hot plate in a MAS. And a turbo charged diesel can suck one dry in a matter of days. Not good either.

·
Registered
357 Posts
K&N Filters stop pebbles, not the fine abrasives that wear the cylinder and rings out. Send your oil in for analysis, it will more than likely show high silica and come with a recommadation to change your oil and air filter. Look at their websites they dwell on the fact that they flow better than OEM filters, of course they do if they are not filtering.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
John Deere

Have an 05 Cummins that got dusted with a KN and now is using 1 qt of oil per 300-500 miles. Wish somebody had told me that they were made for the track and not off road. My Cummins has got blowback across all 6cyl. At 6000.00 for a rebuild it is not worth the extra 5-10 hp you get using the KN. Just saying ya'll might think it over..
X-2 I got a JD tractor that had rusted out filter system.So DA me decided to put K&N on instead during rebuild .In less than 500 hours blowby and oil cosumption is BAD BAD ,compression lots lower too....CVA34

1 - 9 of 9 Posts