2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mr do it all.
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy had his house broken into and over 1k in offshore gear stolen. Told him I know several people in Bacliff on the top end of people that work with officials.

Was at Mechanics yesterday when waiting a kid was there to about 25 waiting with his Dad. This kid is a hardcore *********** dude with nothing to lose. We got to talking about how he is going to prison for a parole violation. This kid has nothing to lose and going away for 5 years on the 25th. The kids Dad went on about getting broken into on and on about it. He was not happy. I had mentioned that my buddies house had been robbed 5 times over last 3 months. Well long story short the kid going away to prison told me he knows who has a bunch of offshore gear and reels like my buddies that he ripped off. Ready for the ringer? This kid told me it was his brother and cannot stand him nor does his Dad a complete loser. He said he was trying to change up his life and got caught with bad crowd. I was suprised this guy even gave up his brother like this in a perfect stranger conversation.

The suspect lives not 3 blocks from my buddies house. My buddy says the beers on him next time for getting the entail. I told him long about people in small towns talk and low and behold I was in right place right time..

Scumbag thieves make me sick. I am going to send the guy some money in prison just to make it right with him.All information will be handed to GCSO LEO's :doowapsta

·
Living life in the 77H20 zip code
846 Posts
I hope things go better for your buddy with the GCSD than they did for me with the HCSD some 10 years ago.

I had a similair theft happen. My boat storage was broken into.

I got a call one morning from a gentlaman that said he serves summons for the courts and he has / had a teenage son about 18 years old tell him about a theft. The father of the boy told me over the phone that he had gotten my phone number from the boat storage facility and that he was at my stall as we were speaking and indeed it showed signs of break in. He called the sherrifs department and I rushed over there as fast as i could.

Upon arrival, the teenage boy said it was his friends that broke in and stole my stuff (four wheeler , tools, stuff outta my boat etc. bout $10K worth of stuff) He said that they wanted him to help but he chickened out at the last minute. I said great !!!! Lets go arrest the bastages , we know who they are. The Sherrif called a detective and he was dispatched to take a statement from the teenager.

Long story short, detective said it was heresay , this boys word against his friends. detective said if this boy had taken part in the crime, he would have known about the others first hand. But his word now is just speculation that the boys may or may not have actually been the ones to commit the crime. DA wouldn't issue a search warrant for the perps. Detective went to the bastages house and asked if he could come in and take a look around, they said no.

Case closed !!!!! Still pizzes me off to this day.

So even though this is the perps brother with the intel, it is his word against his brothers if the cops go to visit the perp. Unless you can get the brother in broud daylight with your gear on his person or selling it, you may run up against the same brick wall I did.

Hope your friend gets his gear back, I wasn't so lucky.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Rules of evidence, gentlemen. The cops don't make the rules. But they have to follow them. Judges don't issue search or arrest warrants based on 3rd party info. There has to be some independently corroborative evidence.

Which means, scumbag says that so&so is holding some stolen rods and reels. If scumbag can produce one of the stolen rods and reels, under police supervision, and the rod/reel can be linked to a specific crime, then a judge will issue a search warrant.

Just the mere fact that scumbag says so&so did this or that is not enough prove it or even cause a reasonable person to believe it. Scumbags lie. And how many rods & reels are stolen along the gulf every day? How do we know that these stolen rods/reels came from a specific burglary or theft.

It ain't about what you know. It's all about what you can prove. The rules are stacked against the cops whether you like or not.

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
a similar circumstance happened to me years ago. but, i found out that one of the perps was already on parole for something else when he participated in my deed. the detective was able to put some pressure on him because of the parole issue and told the perp that he was working on putting a RICO case together and that if the perp was found guilty, he'd do some serious time in a fed pen. it worked. but the perp ended up getting deferred adjudication in the end due to a plea deal.

it can work, depending on the circumstances. we gotta try anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts