2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the matter with those Astros? They looked like minors. The bad part (to me) was the Cubs sucked to start with. But to lose to the Cubs? I don't care if Biggio and Squats Bagwell never get a World Series ring before they retire. The monkeys are working for the good people of Houston and supporters who pay them OTA. They don't deserve having a new park. Big changes are needed in this organization PDQ. Anybody else would get fired just like you and me. IMHO. No reply needed to this post. CF?

·
11,766 Posts
As long as Uncle Drayton owns the team nothing will happen. Look for him to sell the team soon. They look prosperity dead in the eye and defy it and they dont have any heart. Time to clean house and call up the new blood from the minors. I think they can build a team aound Berkman and Everett. Redding has got to go, he has no business taking the mound every 5th day.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Redding has got to go!!

I just got back from the park as well. I can't believe Redding is still in the bigs. He was given a reprieve in the 5th inning when the home plate umpire called a hit batter, then reversed his call after discussing with the field umpires. He then got out of the inning WITH A LEAD, no less, after a long flyball out with the bases loaded. Jimmy, the man needs a win, he was struggling, get him out of there! IMHO Jimmy can go too.

I'll be alright and so will the 'Stros, just a little frustrated right now....

·
Registered
14 Posts
First we jack up Berkman, Everett, Lane, Lidge, Gallo, Oswalt, keep Lamb, Chavez, give Miller a perfomance only contract, Clemons, as long as he will stay, then we flood the gates, or we have a fire sale..water, heat, no difference, long as bags and biggs control the clubhouse...bye guys...we be in the developmental stage (again) like the Rangers

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Have Always Loved The Astros and Houston....

Houston has more of my class even though I was raised in San Antonio. There were 36, 225 people there tonight and it was a weeknight. Tickets were $40.00 a pop. If it were a weekend I would have had some Juanita sitting on my left knee and some Slim Whitman sitting on my right. You do the math. I could have sold peanuts and made enough to move in next door to Monty Weeks with a new boat and TX. fishing license!! LOL! CF?

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,919 Posts
Redding is not the problem here. He is a pretty decent young pitcher (not good, but decent). He actually went seven decent innings last night. It would be nice to have a better #5 starter, but Redding will do. It was not his fault we lost tonight. You can blame this on the hitting.

The real problems with this team are hitting(lack thereof), bullpen, and coaching.

Benching Hidalgo was the right thing to do. They should give Lane a chance to show what he can do. Besides that, they do not have many options this year. Except, of course, FIRE JIMY WILLIAMS. I have had just enough of this clown. Also, we should hire a competent hitting and pitching coach.

Oh yeah, we should make Lidge the closer and move Dotel to setup.

·
Certified Bile Spewer
1,398 Posts
Lose to the Cubs?

ComeFrom? said:
The bad part (to me) was the Cubs sucked to start with. But to lose to the Cubs?
Not to worry. Lots of teams have and will continue to lose to the Cubs this season. So don't be too surprised, CF.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the Cubs suck. Afterall, they did win the division last year and were five outs away from the World Series.

Currently, they're a couple of games behind St. Louis in a tight division. Their starting rotation (Prior, Wood, Maddux, Clements, and Zambrano) is one of, if not, the best in the league. This is further evidenced by the final score over the last three nights in H-town. The rotation will only get stronger upon Wood's return and the continued health of the others.

Chicago has done surprsingly well despite an unusually high number of injuries this season...Prior, Wood, Sosa, Grudzielanek, Gonzalez, Remlinger, and Borowski, to name a few.

Sure, Cubbies may suck, but if that's the case, so do the Reds, Brewers, Astros, Pirates, Marlins, Phillies, Braves, Mets, Expos, Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Diamondbacks, and Rockies. So every NL team sucks, with the exception of St. Louis, based upon todays standings.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sean,You Are Far More Current On....

the stats of the Majors than I. I couldn't tell you 1/100th of what's going down in baseball. I was talking about last nights game. I shoulda', woulda', coulda' said, "losing - three in a row to the Cubs (or was it four) as much this season as last, the year before and the year before that," etc. I WANT to see the Astros to go to the World Series before I croak. CF? :headknock

·
Senior Member, do I get a discount?
1,920 Posts
I don't even know if hitting is the problem, Hitting when it counts! you can't leave the bases loaded when the game is on the line! I would love to see averages with runners in scoring position. hell, we have had some games with 12 hits and only score 2 runs! They need to shake up the line up, move some people around. I would probably move Bagwell off of first and let Berkman play it. Not too mention our pitching relief and closing is non existent. Can you say i miss you Billy??? Plus someone needs to teach Bagwell to base hit! quit swinging for the fence!!!!!!

·
Borders, language, culture
6,346 Posts
As long as we're handing out pink slips, I'd like to give one to Octavio Dotel. I guess on paper he looks "okay", but he gets it the hard way, walking batters, loading bases etc.. and that balk that lost Roger the win a while back. Yeah it was a bs call by the umpire, but still a good call and, Octavio shouldn't have even chanced it.

·
1,920 Posts
How long do you think Jimmie Williams has left? think he'll make it through the break? Maybe Dierker wasn't the problem after! not that i thought he was!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Dotel has all the physical skills to be a closer, but he lacks the mental toughness. Great closers (Billy Wagner included) have a mindset that is different than other pitchers. They aren't afraid of anyone and pressure doesn't affect them. They face each batter like it is the only one they will pitch to. They can completely reset their focus with each batter. Hit a home run off of a great closer and he approaches the next batter like it never happened. Dotel not only gets up-tight when something goes wrong, he seems nervous as soon as he takes the mound. I watched the game when he balked in the winning run and it was strictly a result of anxiety. He was nervous as a shrimp in a school of specs. You could see it in his body language and in his face. Closers are, by definition, protecting narrow (often 1 run) leads. They can't afford to let the leadoff batter get on base, and Dotel does so half of the time he comes in. He was a great set-up man and the Astros should use him that way. Lidge should be our closer.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Well put Jim

I ciuldn't agree more. When Wagner used to come in it was most always a relief, no pun intended, because he was gonna get em. With Dotel I get nervous immediatly. I also think it's time for Bagwell to sit. I love the guy but he is just a liability now.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Well the firesale begins, Hidalgo is going to the Mets for a no name reliever. He's capable of having a great season if Jimy Williams would have faith in his players, they just don't want to pay to keep talent. As long as Drayton Cheapskate owns the team we will never be able to keep talent. How can a guy be that cheap when he sold his grocery distributing business for 2billion 2yrs ago. I can't figure him out. It's obvious to me that he isn't committed to winning.

·
Certified Bile Spewer
1,398 Posts
World Series!

ComeFrom? said:
I WANT to see the Astros to go to the World Series before I croak. CF? :headknock
I hear you, CF! What you said, except in my case, the Cubbies in the series (okay, winning the series) before I die.

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,919 Posts
I remember getting very nervous with Wagner too, just not as much as with Dotel. The problem is that he is too wild. The other night, Jim Deschais was saying that in his last 7 appearances, 5 leadoff hitters reached base (maybe it was 6). If you are going to be successful, you CANNOT have a baserunner with no outs.

The plus side is that we have somebody who can be the closer we need in Lidge. Give him the role.

Good riddance to Hidalgo. In the last 4 seasons he has spent 85% of his playing time in a horrible slump. He is the definitive non-hacker.

It is time to light a fire under these underachievers. Heads need to roll.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Where' ShadMan?

We need his perspective on this thread. What about it, Jeff? Can Dotel handle the closer role? Would we be better off with Lidge? Have the Stros got the talent to turn this thing around? Is Jimy part of the problem?

·
1,920 Posts
Who is the closer we got for Dogi? I haven't never heard of him. You are definetly right on Dotel's mental state he loses focus way too quickly, a closer has to have his head about him at all times. you can't give up anything. But i have seen some very questionable calls by Williams, how about pitching to Piazza with men on and the game on the line? This team sould be 12 games over 500 right now, way too much talent for this.

·
Registered
551 Posts
A no name reliever?

David Weathers is a veteran reliever that has had good success in the majors for about the last 8 or 10 years. Is he what you would like to get for our perceived notion of how good Hidalgo is? No. Is he better than nothing? Absolutely. It was a foregone conclusion that we would dump Hidalgo's salary with the 2 million dollar buy-out clause at the end of the season anyway. You'd might as well get something for him now. And Jason Lane is ready to play (offensively). We will miss Hidalgo's arm. I think a small part of this trade is to send the message to the other veterans that they could be next. Four or Five games out of first in June is not a big deal. We need to right the ship and start winning games again. As poorly as our division has played, its still up for grabs.

Go Stros

·
1,920 Posts
You are right, it is still early but they have to get a sense of urgency before the season gets away from them. Now i will ask the question that is floating around here at work, do you think Biggio is working out in center? I think he is doing a good job, i would like to see his bat get hotter. but what do you think?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts