2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll keep it short because I'm feeling pretty sad at the moment. My place fared pretty well. My downstairs was completely destroyed and I lost all contents in the downstairs, but the upstairs was just like I left it......side for a little funk in the air from the freezer contents. Got that cleaned up while we were there though. No water damage inside, no roof damage.....Even my boat at Bayside Storage (across the hwy from Seven Seas Grocery) was almost untouched. I feel pretty grateful. I saw a lot of devestation today though. All I saw today is sinking in and it saddens me greatly. I wish the best for each and every property owner in Galveston.

Wayne

Attachments

·
Kayak Fisher
7,566 Posts
Thanks for the photos. Our internet access has been sporadic so haven't seen lot of photos yet.

I thank God that you are alive and that some of your home and possessions were not totally destroyed. No matter how bad it sometimes seems, remember that it could have been worse.

Take care out there.

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
Do like me and look at the bright side... I've been needing to clean out the garage anyways.

That looks about like mine. Like you, no damage to the main house. It's a mess right now, but it will look better with a little clean-up.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
PrisonerOnGalvetraz said:
I'll keep it short because I'm feeling pretty sad at the moment.

Wayne, I know it looks bad now but don't worry. Islanders are a tough and resourceful lot and we will have the place back to normal a heck of a lot quicker than most would believe possible. Keep the faith Bro'.

Jeff

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the wonderful, uplifting responses. This is what I have come to expect from the awesome folks on this forum. Y'all are great!

I was on overload upon my return from the island yesterday. I saw SO MUCH devastation SO widespread across the entire area. It was just a bit more than I could ingest, without getting very sad. I've been through many storms in 51 years of living around here, but have never seen such widespread damage. The images are burned in my mind.

Here are a couple more pics from yesterday. One is of my sister (God Bless her for going down there with me.), and look on my face says it all.

Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spoken too a lot of JB property owners. Appears a lot of us were spared the worst. I guess there's something to be said for taking a DIRECT hit.

God Bless all of you and your loved ones.

Wayne

·
PETA & LIBS let Obama eat dogs.
4,471 Posts
Me too.

My boat is missing-found my trailer 2 houses down. My Bronco is/was stuck in ditch between me and neighbors (pulled it out Sunday so I don't get hit with "storage" charges from some salvager)-Bronco made Channel 2 news Saturday night. My staircase is across the street and two houses down, my central a/c and heater came out with the wall. My parents lost everything downstairs-not one wall left and car is in yard with staircase behind it. My brother had roof and siding damage and a wall blew out and his downstairs is part of his house-spiral staircase-and his hot tub is gone-his garage is gone. He also has a crummy sailboat sitting across his drive (Michigan numbers and an expired May 2003 Texas Sticker on it-that sailboat shouldn't of been at the boat basin to begin with-obviously it was a POS and worthless) and the owner left phone # on it-he called and the guy is busy and going to Maryland for a few weeks, so can't move boat-that isn't very nice-leaves my brother with no room to get the 4' of debris out from his house since ground is so soft a front end loader can't get in. All at Jamaica Beach (Jamaica Cove and Sand Piper). My other brother lost entire dowstairs area at Sea Isle-him and I picked up his reels out of the mud and his pool/hot tub is hanging over edge of canal by boatlift. No upstairs damage to any of us thank goodness. It is bad but could have been worse-lots of folks lost roofs or entire house. I feel bad for the folks that had all lost-we can fix/repair-they have to start over. Sad.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I hope and pray that most had insurance and will re-build better than ever. This is a price paid for living on the coast yet it still does not make one feel any better. Recently God tought me a lesson that I would like to share with you guys. My wife of 35 years had phomonia (bad spelling you know lungs). She is only 54. Well it went into ARDS (lung failure and my wife was on life support for 17 days. She almost died early one Saturday morning around 3:00am. All the doctors and nurses rushed into her room and with the grace of God she is still with us. I was in the room with her when she crashed and they pushed me into the ICU area. All my kids where crying and all the sudden a great calm came over me and I had to grap the side of the nurses station desk. God spoke to me that very moment and assured me she would be ok. What God tought me is we should not charish " things" and " property" but should cherish two things. #1 God #2 Life. I am not a preacher or preaching to the choir. I feel bad for your losses and troubles. However, keep it in perspective. It is only boats, property, wood and things like that. Be most thankful that we are alive for another day. Be not sad for property and things but be most grateful for LIFE!

May God bless each and everyone of you!

·
Registered
932 Posts
great white fisherman said:
I hope and pray that most had insurance and will re-build better than ever. This is a price paid for living on the coast yet it still does not make one feel any better. Recently God tought me a lesson that I would like to share with you guys. My wife of 35 years had phomonia (bad spelling you know lungs). She is only 54. Well it went into ARDS (lung failure and my wife was on life support for 17 days. She almost died early one Saturday morning around 3:00am. All the doctors and nurses rushed into her room and with the grace of God she is still with us. I was in the room with her when she crashed and they pushed me into the ICU area. All my kids where crying and all the sudden a great calm came over me and I had to grap the side of the nurses station desk. God spoke to me that very moment and assured me she would be ok. What God tought me is we should not charish " things" and " property" but should cherish two things. #1 God #2 Life. I am not a preacher or preaching to the choir. I feel bad for your losses and troubles. However, keep it in perspective. It is only boats, property, wood and things like that. Be most thankful that we are alive for another day. Be not sad for property and things but be most grateful for LIFE!

May God bless each and everyone of you!
AMEN, thanks i needed that .

·
4,471 Posts
Jig?

Yessir-glad you wife is surviving and hope nothing but the best for all.

Hey Jig:

What do you mean it'll be disappearing soon? We hope so-seems to me that it being partially on the street, it would be hauled off by a salvager soon-plus it's about 5' from hitting power lines.

Thanks,
Jamaica Cove

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Well, if there was someone else's boat in my driveway that matched this description(Michigan numbers and an expired May 2003 Texas Sticker on it-that sailboat shouldn't of been at the boat basin to begin with-obviously it was a POS and worthless), and I called the owner and he said 'sorry, your problem for now, I am going on vacation for a few weeks,' I bet that boat would not be in my driveway for long. "Sorry sir, not sure what happened to it, it was here one day but then it just disappeared."

·
4,471 Posts
Mitchagin bote

Agreed, but afraid to hit power lines-mast is real close-I figure utility folks or someone will pull it out-I offered to drag it via a rope/chain but thought again-I sure needed the ladder under it since I lost my staircase, but didn't want to knock down any lines!!! :brew2:

Thanks and take care and best to ya!

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
Jamaica Cove,

I'm no sailor and have only a little experience with sail boats, but those masts are just bolted in, and some will even pivot down after you relieve a cable or two. I would think the authorities will tell you how to get rid of it.

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
PrisonerOnGalvatraz,

you must have been built to the most recent codes, from my limited understanding of them?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fishnstringer said:
you must have been built to the most recent codes, from my limited understanding of them?
I think so. It was built in 2001 (I'm the 2nd owner) and I know the downstairs was mandated to have blow-out walls.

I just spoke with a friend at Center Point. Sounds like they are gonna have us jump through bunches of hoops before they restore power to each individual house. Can't wait to go through that. :>( I'll bet it's after New Years before things normalize.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts