2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother, me, and a couple of guys from work pulled out of Dickinson Bayou after Debbies services Friday for a long run offshore. We idled out at 8 knots hoping to find a good bite at the cutoff rigs past 4 in a row. The action was steady, but not anything special, so we started rig hopping until we could locate some fish. I boxed a nice 12 pound snapper early Saturday morning.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
few rigs later, after me and my bro going back and forth about positioning "driving the boat" and the size of the gaff, we decide to pull off a rig that had a bunch of 8 pound snaps on it. Mark says "give me 30 more seconds" and it was a classic. I saw his rod bow up, just a little (he caught a little snap) and then it bends over double. A half hour later, we box this ling.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
overall, we had a full limit of snaps, a few lanes for good measure, 2 nice reef donkeys, and one real nice ling. It was the middle of the afternoon on Saturday, and we tied up to soak up some A/C and cold drinks, when the rig we are tied to starts spewing water, rust and god only knows what every direction. It was one time I was really glad to have the rope thrown over the rig instead of a rig hook, and we were able to get off it it real fast. Since we were limited out, we decided to try and find a sunken ship listed on Hiltons charts in the area. Without any luck, we tie off again, but the wind in out of the north and the current is out of the east. It was a miserable ride, so at 4 PM, we decide to head back home. I ran us to about 15 miles out, then Gary took over a midnight for the last leg through the jetties. We made GYB at midnight, and spent the night there, and headed for the house early this morning. It's going to be fried Ling at my house tonight, and I can't wait to head to POC next Friday for a repeat performance.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Dang, Mont. You're being pretty modest. Two keeper AJ's, a Ling, Snapper limits and some Beeliners thrown in. That's a darned good trip. Do that again at POC and you'll be looking for freezer space.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
no billystix rods????

hi mont
great fishing trip.
just didnt see any billystix spirals on board, you know tha spiral rod is really a great snapper rig, you need the xtra feel for most snapper bites, it would be my honor to have my rods go on board with you. give it some thought and if you want to give a snapper rod a shot please let me know and i will get miss molly right on it pronto.
stix
please visit molly at www.billystix.com

·
Premium Member
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim, this time of year, we tend to run trips a bit differently, thanks to the heat. About the only thing we didn't get was some sleep, lol, and I just got up from a nice 3 hour nap. On the way home this morning we mapped out plans for next weekend, and I can't wait. We turned loose 'cudas and lots of shorts of all sorts but I was surprised at the number of lanes. Cleaning fish this afternoon, it was interesting to see what everything had been eating. For us, sardines, and sardines along with a little bit of squid was the ticket. About the only downside to the trip was when I lost the squid daisy chain teaser to a bad knot. If there hadn't been 3 lines in the water, I would have yelled "man overboard" and been over the stern after it. As good as the bite was, I am betting some really good reports show up later on. I know the Possession Limit was out about 40 miles past us (we worked the 80 mile area), and some other boats had longer range trips planned.
We left the extra cooler at home, and when the first one was full, had to grin.

Billy, I might get with you a bit later on a Stix or 3, but the next few weekends are going to be on the water. The summer pattern is finally here, and if the heat don't kill ya, the 2nd week of August is as good as it gets.

One thing that really made this trip special was every single fish we caught was taken on circle hooks. I have been messing with them for 2 summers now, and after seeing someone that had never been offshore boat fish after fish with them, all I can say is "wow!". They truely are the hook of the future and we didn't have a bad hookset on even a single fish. All those fish were caught with only 2 boxes of sardines, and a half box of squid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.