2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Crystal Beach water up to the dunes and washing away much needed sand. Shawn your house is still ok. Water gets into the road about every 4th wave.

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
Same Thing On West Galveston Island

Water was spilling onto F.M. 3005 at the beach entrance next to the Rusty Hook Bait Camp. I also stopped by Pirates Beach and the waves are eating away at the geotubes. Ouch!

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
I hope they wash the geo-textile tubes away. The tubes are causing the beach in front of them to erode a lot faster than the other beaches. The UofT did a three year study that proved it. There are places in Pirates Beach where the beach is now an average of 83' narrower than they were before the tubes were put in. Pretty soon it'll look just like in front of the seawall from 61st to the west end of the wall.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I read that report

Galveston Yankee said:
I hope they wash the geo-textile tubes away. The tubes are causing the beach in front of them to erode a lot faster than the other beaches. The UofT did a three year study that proved it. There are places in Pirates Beach where the beach is now an average of 83' narrower than they were before the tubes were put in. Pretty soon it'll look just like in front of the seawall from 61st to the west end of the wall.
It seems like a no-brainer to remove the tubes. Or rather not install any more.

Is there any way to manually renourish the beaches that have been destroyed by the tubes? I have seen what they did to the beaches off the seawall and it is not natural looking. They pumped that nasty stuff off the bottom of the ocean floor and spewed it onto the beach. Not exactly the same sand you find on the west end.

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they would lay that tube about 100 to 200 yards off the beach the sand would build up against the tubes and build up the beaches. But that would cost too much at one time. So they would rather just paying and paying a little at a time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.