2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
The Antaginator
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i needed to get the brake pads replaced and rotors turned on my truck. I normally take care of this myself, but the parts run about 50 bucks, and can be a little more to take the rotors somewhere to get turned. I felt like being lazy this time so looked around. 99.88 advertised at Just Brakes did all i needed to get done. I left the car there, within 30 minutes they call me to tell me my "calipers needed to be rebuilt" and they needed to "flush the brake system" and it would cost 845.00 to fix everything...hah..

Calipers are so rare of a thing to have problems with i asked him how on earth ALL of my calipers were bad? I also asked him why they would flush or replace brake fluid? what would ever be a reason for doing that??...passed on both of those. told him either do the 99 dollar job or give me the truck back, if it is so unsafe ill take it to the dealership. The guy then went on about how unsafe it was going to be to drive it, i shouldnt even go around teh block...etc..etc...Got home and pulled off the tire. The calipers were absolutely fine. he said the driver side caliper was siezed up and cracked...absolutely false...

Bottom line is, this place is a f'n rip off scam. While there getting my truck i was looking at all of the service orders. None of them had anything less than 400 dollars worth of work written up on it. Checked online and there are about 15 pages worth of complaints on this consumer affairs site regarding Just brakes...Not to count the multiple scam report sites with countless people complaining. I already filed a complaint with the BBB about them, just want to make sure i spread the world.

Looking around, they were under federal investigation in Florida for bait and switch scams. They lost membership in the BBB in Ft. Worth...wish i would have taken the time to see that sooner.

Just for reference, the Just Brakes i went to was in San Antonio, off of Grissom Rd.

I highly reccomend NEVER EVER going there...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I had mine done at Meineke and the manager mentioned that they were banned in Florida for doing this, he also went on to say that they use the cheapest parts which are "warranted for life" These parts basically fail within the first year and when you bring in your vehicle for warranty work, they nail you with hundreds of $$$ in charges. I'll definitely stay away from them in the future.

Thanks for the heads up!!!

·
The Antaginator
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had mine done at Meineke and the manager mentioned that they were banned in Florida for doing this, he also went on to say that they use the cheapest parts which are "warranted for life" These parts basically fail within the first year and when you bring in your vehicle for warranty work, they nail you with hundreds of $$$ in charges. I'll definitely stay away from them in the future.

Thanks for the heads up!!!
Yep. Stupid on me to trust them, i tried to call and cancel all service once i started understanding what i was getting myself into, but of course they were already done.

I full expect the pads will wear out in the next few months...$100 less learned, i will not go back there. I was worried they would sabotage something in the brake system and then say "see i told you they were bad!"

I already filed a complaint with the BBB and Texas Attorney Generals office. Places like this are no better than the petty thiefs that rip off your fishing gear in your truck...deteriment to society in my opinion.

·
Certified Man Card Holder!
1,652 Posts
I had to have some brake work done recently and also read all the terrible reviews of that place online and decided to avoid them. I knew what I needed done just didn't have the time to fix it. Ended up going to NTB and still got a little shafted but it wasn't bad and their service was fast and seems well done.

·
The Antaginator
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always did my brakes myself, so honestly i had never even heard of them. Was very appealing to spend under 100 bucks and not have to get dirty myself...was able to drop the truck off and go do some shopping with the wife and son.

should have known better.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I also asked him why they would flush or replace brake fluid? what would ever be a reason for doing ..
Likely your fluid does need changed if your brake pads are worn enough to be replaced. Dot 3 fluid should be flushed every two years or so. The fuild will absorb water over time and corrode your steel parts from the inside. Take a look at your fluid, it should be clear. You can buy some test strips at a parts house to test the fluid to make sure it needs changes.

Brake fluid is cheap and it doesn't take long to flush the system same as bleeding the brakes.

DOT 5 fluid does not absorb mositure like DOT 3.

Not saying you should have had them do it, just that you should get it done yourself or at a good repair shop.

·
The Antaginator
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Likely your fluid does need changed if your brake pads are worn enough to be replaced. Dot 3 fluid should be flushed every two years or so. The fuild will absorb water over time and corrode your steel parts from the inside. Take a look at your fluid, it should be clear. You can buy some test strips at a parts house to test the fluid to make sure it needs changes.

Brake fluid is cheap and it doesn't take long to flush the system same as bleeding the brakes.

DOT 5 fluid does not absorb mositure like DOT 3.

Not saying you should have had them do it, just that you should get it done yourself or at a good repair shop.
I know that is the case in older vehicles where you pretty much bleed the fluid when you replace the brakes...but i thought in newer systems it was all sealed. I know its fairly cheap (not 59.99 worth as they were trying to charge) but i really thought in newer vehicles it really didnt need to be touched.

·
RODS DOWN!! LET THE BOAT BUZZARD PASS.
2,149 Posts
Brakes are so easy to do now. Why even let anyone else do it? Cheaper and you get a lifetime warranty with most new pads. I got tired of the brake dust on my wifes rims so I changed her brake pads out with ceramics. Simple to do, no dust and the stopping power is much improved.

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
you need to open the bleeder when compressing the caliper back in to fit the new pads in order to keep dirt from getting into the anti lock stuff, but replace it?.....I guess it wouldn't hurt, but you can do that in the driveway.

Let me ask this, anybody ever drive out of a Just Brakes place and pay only $99.88?..............still waiting.

My buddy went there (without askin me) and got the same run around. 875 bucks was the estimate.

Ford did it for less than 200 if I recall.

I do my own, but I feel ya on the "why get dirty if I can have it done for $100 bucks.....you can't! lol

·
Hunting the Sith...
6,022 Posts
Good info, thanks for sharing.

I have a shop family run that I trust(that I'll use when my truck goes out of warranty) or I'll take it to the dealership, since I'm still in warranty I go to the dealership. The only big box place I take my vehicle is Discount.

Have heard horrible things about NTB as well.

·
The Antaginator
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only paid the 99.88 + tax, but it took a lot of different calls and visits to the mgr to get it done.

Thanks Mullet, Christmas was great. My son and i are on our way down to the coast tomorrow morning for the week. Wife cant make it, but my Grandma and Grandpa will be there tomorrow night. If you are in the area, give me a shout...im not affraid of no cold and rain if it means fishin! ;)

If anyone ever wants an honest car garage in San Antonio, go to Temple Hill Automotive. They are on the southside, but my family has used them for various things for over 30 years. They never ever tried to do anything that wasnt necessary, and always are quick and very reasonably priced. They are ALWAYS slammed though...so getting your vehicle in for repair can be tough at times.

·
WHO DAT!!
3,244 Posts
Just Brakes has to be the biggest bunch of crooks on the planet. They use scare tactics to get people to have unnecessary work done and then they use **** parts when they do it. I really hate to see that some people in Pearland are having them work on their vehicles at the store they just opened up. Makes me want to park in front of them and warn people as they drive up.

If the Texas Attorney General was worth anything, this company would not be allowed to operate in the State of Texas.

·
Registered
167 Posts
beware of the "specials"

you really gotta watch places like this. they take advantage of a lot of people--especially since there are fewer and fewer people that actually know anything about their car past the CD player. i had a run in with a certain oil change chain. i was told my "carborator needed flushing" i said yes, without asking the price, and then watched a dude spray about a quarter of a can of gumout into the intake--took about 2 min. when i got my bill i hit the roof-- they charged me 59.99 for a "carborator flush"
it was definitly a little scam to get a little more out of their "20.00 oil change special" --just like "brake special" :headknock

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Unfortunately, it's just not Just Brakes. Get any woman to bring a car in for rountine service and see what the mechanic recommends. Sometimes I just laugh when my wife calls me about what kind of routine service is required after a simple oil change request. The only expense I've ever paid a mechanic was to change the timing belts on my sienna van. This was after logging close to 200,000 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts