2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a bunch of reels off ebay for steals from what I have seen (about $150 for all of them). I need some suggestions on rods, size, weight, brands, etc. Any help is much appreciated.

This is what I picked up:

Penn 555GS high speed
Penn 505 HS
Penn Senator 6/0

Fishing mostly off high island for whatever is biting that day.

Don't have a kayak.....yet.

·
Registered
206 Posts
OceanMasters 10' or 12'.I have three 12' OM's and love them. It all depends on how much you want to spend. 10" heavy action Uglystiks are good rods and pretty reasonable. Tica are some real good surf rods. Cabelas has a wide variety of surf rods and good prices. As far as the OM goes you can check out www.catfishsupply.com Wendell has the best price around on them plus a lot of other stuff. Hope I have been of some help.

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
you may need to email Wendell - he put together a special order for us a couple of times.

Another option is to go and buy it from Bass Pro - but get a Parks & Wildlife outdoor annual first. In the colored slick pages in the center of the 2003/2004 annual there is a 20% off coupon for Bass Pro.

·
Registered
206 Posts
They are a Bass Pro Shops rod. Wendell sells them to us here on the board for a lot less than you can get them from BPS. You can email him [email protected] and he can tell you if he has them in stock or not. I don't think he puts them up on his site.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
a 12' tica would be nice on a 555
really depends on how much you want to spend.
but if your fairly new to surf (long rod) fishing I would not break the bank on a rod. I think the Tica and OM are hard to beat though
I personly like a nice custom made breakaway or Rainshadow

has anyone seen those Beach Runner rods?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where do you find a Parks & Wildlife outdoor annual?

speckle-catcher said:
you may need to email Wendell - he put together a special order for us a couple of times.

Another option is to go and buy it from Bass Pro - but get a Parks & Wildlife outdoor annual first. In the colored slick pages in the center of the 2003/2004 annual there is a 20% off coupon for Bass Pro.
Where do I fond one of these, have not been able to locate one? Is it on their website, or at a store?

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
anyplace that sells a fishing license will have the Outdoor Annual. It is from TPWD and has all the rules and regulations in it. So, Academy, etc will have them. Go to the license table in Academy - they will know what you are talking about.

IIRC, there is not a Bass Pro coupon in the new annual.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I sent Wendell an email the other day because a good bud of mine is wanting an OM. He can't keep them in stock. He said it is taking him 3 to 6 weeks to get them.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I didn't know he could get TICA's. I am considering getting one myself. I have heard a lot of good about them. It will be hard to beat my Oceanmasters though. Wendall is an absolutely wonderful individual. I can't say enough good about him. So you guys that don't know him give him a try. If he don't have it ask him if he can get it. He will help in any way he can I assure you of that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What would you get for a 6:1 gear ratio reel that is 17.6 oz. line cap 20lbs./480yds.? I'm stuck between the OM12SC ( 12' 20-50, 5-9 weight, $119.99) or the OM12SCM ( 12' 17-40, 3-6 weight, $119.99)

·
Registered
206 Posts
BigJoe,
I would get the OM12SC, but then I am a little biased seein as how I have 3 of them. Hey where are you. I am in Hitchcock and will be in LaMarque in a few days. Drop me a line if you are close enough and want to you can come by and try one out first hand you are welcome to. Drop me a line.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
BigJoe said:
What would you get for a 6:1 gear ratio reel that is 17.6 oz. line cap 20lbs./480yds.? I'm stuck between the OM12SC ( 12' 20-50, 5-9 weight, $119.99) or the OM12SCM ( 12' 17-40, 3-6 weight, $119.99)
I've got both rods and love em both. Which one you will want depends on what you are going to do with it.
If you are casting 4-6 oz + bait, I'd suggest the OM12SCM.
If you are casting 6-8 oz + bait, the OM12SC would be better.
I cast farther with my OM12SCM than I do with my OM12SC, but the OM12SC will cast heavier weight/baits. A better caster than me, might do better with the OM12SC instead of the OM12SCM.
Both rods have plenty of backbone to fight a fish on 30# line.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts