2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the avid fisherman or not so avid,
Ive been fishing on the Gulf Coast all my life, Iam now 48 years young.
Today i write this letter to let the public be aware of all the knock off products in the world and in the fishing world. KNOCK OFF is a term meaning stealing another person's idea and selling it to the public. Most of the time the company that steals the idea has the product or idea there stealing built in another country i.e. Japan, China etc. In the old days we called it Japanese or Chinese "Junk."

*Just Be Aware*
signed
The Avid Fisherman

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
I think what Avid is getting at is that there are a couple of companies that are copying other's work.

Corkys, Ghosts, and now Rubberbacks (among others) are being copied and sold. I think it stinks that our local lure-makers are being "knocked-off".

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
speckle-catcher said:
I think what Avid is getting at is that there are a couple of companies that are copying other's work.

Corkys, Ghosts, and now Rubberbacks (among others) are being copied and sold. I think it stinks that our local lure-makers are being "knocked-off".
aren't rubberbacks, just a knock off with a little spin to the Corkys?

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
With all respect to Mr. Brown,
It seems he made a decision to limit production and sell from his home to keep the his business small and personal.
In our culture if there is a demand and not enough supply, someone will move to satisfy that demand and make a profit.
Are copyright/patent laws fair and evenly enforced? Probably not. Is it fair and right? probably not.
Do you have a choice not to buy the knock-offs? You sure do!
Just my perspective

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
speckle-catcher said:
I don't think so. If Corky made a jointed bait, then it would be a different story.
doesn't the same company that makes the rubberbacks, also make the crazy croaker?

and how many mullet imitation, subsurface, soft plastics were around back in the early days of the Corky?

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
no, the crazy croaker is made by Tidal Surge - and I think there's a knock-off of it out now as well.

I think it sucks that people like Paul Brown, Sergio (tidal surge), Rubberback spend the time to develop a new bait, just to have somebody come in, copy it and sell the exact same thing under a different name.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Rubberbacks

I believe they are made by a guy in Katy. I know a couple of the teenagers that were working for him at one point.

rubberbacklures.com

·
Registered
285 Posts
Counterfeiting is a big problem. Everything from CD's, DVD's, clothing, jewelry, and fishing equipment. Avid fisherman has been around along time he just don't post much.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
remember, all post counts started over about 30 days or so ago.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
it's been a little longer than that, hasn't it?

but anyway, that is getting a bit off his subject line......

I wonder why he has posted this, just from a curiosity standpoint? I love Corky's, and many of the other big name lures........but to be honest.....I try the knock off, simply because they are cheaper. I hate paying over $6 for a lure, only to have a big fish take it, or even have it wear out, so I try the cheapos..........I think all the types of lures take ideas from each other.....putting flash, holographics, rattles, red hooks,bigger eyes, gills, where does the line lie, that a producer of lures can't cross?.......even the big name guys have done this........

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
BertS said:
...where does the line lie, that a producer of lures can't cross?.......
when what they put out looks exactly like a Rubberback, a Corky, or a Crazy Croaker it crosses the line. It doesn't matter if they put on red hooks or holographic sides. They have stolen another persons creation and made it their own.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
speckle-catcher said:
when what they put out looks exactly like a Rubberback, a Corky, or a Crazy Croaker it crosses the line. It doesn't matter if they put on red hooks or holographic sides. They have stolen another persons creation and made it their own.
but what if they use different materials to make? or if their rattles are different, hooks are different, or maybe the colors?

I would think that the originals, had patents, or copyrights. I'm no expert, but there is a time limit, before others can copy. If it is an exact replica, then I'm sure the orginators would have some legal recourse?

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
What if Pepsi changed the label on their bottle to look like a Coke label, but not quite the same?

I'm sure there are patent laws, but being no lawyer I don't know how they affect another company from overseas copying an American product and then selling the copies here. I guarantee if somebody did something similar to Coke, McD's or some large company it would be pursued.

Maybe somebody is counting on these small lure companies not having the resources to pursue a lawsuit.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Bert,

Patents last ten years.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.