2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Redd Fisher
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dewey, his son Dewey and I headed to the Jetty this morning. Full Moon and High Pressure - and we got what we expected.

Not much at all.

We did catch about 20 shark up to about 3 foot - but nothing else. Well - other than a ton of Atlantic Bumpers on the Sakiki Rig. I didn't catch one fish fishing with the Bumpers though. Dewey did catch his quota of Hardheads and we did catch a couple of Whiting - but other than that - Nothing!

Didn't bother taking pics - probably won't even update the blog. Still a beautiful day on the water.

Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
North Jetty Sunday Afternoon

Mark,

Thanks for the information and was happy to catch your "bumper for bait" report this afternoon. We drifted the east side of the NJ Sunday afternoon until around 4. We used sabiki rig caught live Bumpers exclusively for bait... set under a balloon and carolina rigged as well. Great weather but slow, slow bite... the little action we found was a couple of 3' sharpnose, both picking up the live bumpers off the bottom. I'm going to work these things for a few more trips or for as long as hang around.

Does the fishing at the North Jetty seem more productive during periods of low pressure? Sure would be nice if these bumpers turn out to be a productive bait. I will say, they are hardy little devils and do great in a livewell.

Thanks again,
Karl

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I can tell you that the bumpers were being shredded in force this morning on the beachfront... Not sure what all was tearing them up, but they were getting torn up by something

Thomas

·
The Redd Fisher
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bumpers

I can't tell you that bumpers are bad baits ... right now nothing is really producing well. Logic tells me that they would be good baits - numbers, shiney, etc. I have seen them "showering" a number of times. I am going to continue to try them out just to see for sure. And you are right - they are tough little critters!

I think that the last 2 trips the "bite" just hasn't been on. I really don't have a good summer pattern yet.

As for the pressure - the fishing seems to be more productive when the pressure is dropping or low. That is just my experience though. However, this is more of a trend in the fall-winter when Northers blow through.

The Full Moon last night I think was a major factor. Ususally on a full moon - if there is going to be a good bite - it is usually in the afternoon. Again ... that is just my observation. There are guys on here that know far far far more than I do about pressure and lunar effects.

Perhaps they will chime in.

Thanks again
Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
North Jetty

On Sunday, the area was full of Dolphins/Porpises. I don't know how much of a negative effect they have on the bite but don't think they offer anything positive.
Hmmm...sounds as if something is eating them bumpers.:fish: I know they're being chased as I also saw the showering. I think I'm gonna give the NJ another shot on Thursday or Friday... weather permitting. I sure would like to see if they'll produce something other than sharpnose.

BTW, I live in Seabrook and am new to the area. On a last minute whim this past Sunday, I decided to make the run to the north jetty from Clear Lake. Too much of a haul in a 17' boat. Can you recommend a good launching ramp in the Galveston area with decent access to the North Jetty? Also, a baitshop recommendation would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Karl

·
The Redd Fisher
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Launch

We launch at the end of the Texas City Dike. There have been some that have had some difficulties with security there - the ramp and parking lot are unmonitored - but we have never had any difficulties at all. However, we usually don't fish weekends or late in to the night. Another option is the Galveston Yacht Basin - it is more secure and offers many more ammonites and I think the launch fee is $8.00. The launch at the end of the TC Dike is free.

We have been using Boyd's Bait Camp - on the right at the base of the TC Dike - for about 3 years now. We have been fairly pleased with them and recommend them often.

Let me know how you do with the Bumpers!

Mark

·
RAIDER POWER!!!
5,696 Posts
Dr. Mark, do you catch and release most of your sharks or do you keep a few from time to time? I do enjoy reading your blog!

Chuck

·
The Redd Fisher
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Time to time

txjoker said:
Dr. Mark, do you catch and release most of your sharks or do you keep a few from time to time? I do enjoy reading your blog!

Chuck
We keep a couple from time to time. There is a family or two at our church that enjoys eating Black Tip so we give some to them.

Mark

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,615 Posts
daparson said:
I can't tell you that bumpers are bad baits ... right now nothing is really producing well. Logic tells me that they would be good baits - numbers, shiney, etc. I have seen them "showering" a number of times. I am going to continue to try them out just to see for sure. And you are right - they are tough little critters!
Not sure how they will work at the jetties, but tarpon and from time to time both king and ling show at the jetties and I know all three of them will eat bumpers. Here are a few pictures for our last trip using bumpers we were about 9 miles south of the the south jetty.

Attachments

·
The Redd Fisher
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bumpers!

bountyhunter said:
Not sure how they will work at the jetties, but tarpon and from time to time both king and ling show at the jetties and I know all three of them will eat bumpers. Here are a few pictures for our last trip using bumpers we were about 9 miles south of the the south jetty.
Well Crud!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I am not holding my mouth right! (laughing)

I am not ready to give up on them yet!

Nice fish!

Mark

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,615 Posts
daparson said:
Well Crud!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I am not holding my mouth right! (laughing)

I am not ready to give up on them yet!

Nice fish!

Mark
A little more information: We were drifting and fishing the bumpers freelined on a Kingfish Live bait rig (you can buy them but I make my own). We were out a bit too far that day for tarpon, but have fished them in the same manner along the Blue/Green color change and closer. When targeting tarpon, we also put out one line on a balloon. When targeting tarpon, I generally don't use the king leaders unless there are a lot of sharks. I like a 6-8/0 very sharp straight shank hook, that I place right behind the Bumper's dosal fin and above the backbone. They will live a long time when hooked like this.

Good luck!
Derek

·
Registered
166 Posts
dam i guess im gonna have to start using them as bait but some many ppl have told me they arent good for bait but u changed my mind

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
At least you had fun being out!

You did at least get into some action!

I have always heard bumpers were no good for bait, which is why I never gave them a chance.......Maybe they are.

·
circle hooks rock!!
411 Posts
We caught the heck out of those bumpers at the jetties at POC. I never knew the came in this close. I have always caught them offshore at the rigs and everything out there eats them up. We tried for bull reds with them in the bay near the jetties and I never caught one redfish with them on the line and the other 2 rods went off almost every drift with pin perch and ribbon fish on them??? We did free line a few and the jack crevelle tore them up....I think we caught about 15 jack in 3 trips out.. I know they aren't good for anything but a good fight and shark bait but that was what we used them for:D ... We caught about 6 dozen of the bumpers and they even stayed alive in the live well over night..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts