2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today didn't start out so well for us. The water was beautiful and the bait was everywhere. We were all anxious to get over to the bait wading directly toward it. On my third cast out of the boat all I heard was water thrashing and screaming. I looked over to see one of my guys go down. He yelled f***in stingray. I rushed to the boat and picked him up and accessed the wound. It was about a 1one and a half inch gash just above his ankle. I told him we needed to go so we headed in and he was rushed to the emergency room. When someone gets hit you need to apply heat such as your water pump water. This will dull the pain. Then go to the emergency room and get yourself checked out. If any barb is still in there you could get infected.

All the other boats that went out from Bay Flats did very well on live croaker over deep shell.

Hope he is okay and tommorrow will be more productive.

Capt. Mark Robinson

www.bayflatslodge.com

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
re stingaree hits: Ditto the hot water--NO ICE!! Ice will cause GREAT agony.
Hot water breaks down the poison, while ice causes it to crystallize, putting the subject in a world of hurt.

·
Live to fish, work to live
2,330 Posts
Got hit by a ray

Well I was the wader fishing with Mark who got hit by the ray. It was not a pleasant experience I can assure you. I am a big guy and it knocked me off my feet. It happened as I slid into a hole.

I had just bought my son who is 11 some of the foreverlast ray booties on Sunday and picked up a pair myself. These are the ones that cover just your foot and ankle and have 3 inches of neoprene above that. Well to quote maxwell Smart it missed the Kevlar by "That much" about one inch. DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU 98% of the hits occur below the ankle. You do not want to be a 2% ER--the 2% in the ER like me that is.

Mark was quite gracious and got me to the dock quickly--thanks Mark, look forward to the rain check. The warm water from the motor definitely eased the pain. I will carry some hot packs/ hand warmers from now on.

I was lucky--the barb did not stay in. I went to Citizens in Victoria where they took great care of me. I want to thank Dr Clyde Waldron and the others in the ER who took the time to thoughly clean and stich the wound for me after getting me anesthesia and antibiotics. I took 5 stiches and have been keeping my foot elevated since I got home from the hospital and it has been feeling quite good all day today. I will not be wading anytime soon until this heals but I may be drifting POCO inshore.

From now on I will be wearing the Knee high Foreverlasts.

My brother took some pics I will try to post later.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Sorry that happened aggiedan, especially on a promising wade.
Ouch! I was hit before by a small ray and got a taste of the pain associated with them. Hurts like H*** doesn't it?
I wear the rayguards always except the day I stepped on a ray in the surf playing with my grand daughter.

I hope you get well soon and have no complications. Not sure I want to see the pics though. LOL

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Wow, what a drag. Sorry it happened to you. I feel so much better walking in the water down there now with my Hodgman's knee high reef and surf Stingaree's. Got them for father's day.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,679 Posts
I have the knee highs and don't leave home without them. They are worth 3 times the cost in peace of mind.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I've never been hit but I hear the pain is hard to describe. I got into the habit of wearing ray protection of some brand or another years ago. I feel nekkid if I get out of the boat without em. They took a little getting used to but after I did they are fully worth the PIA factor for the peace of mind.

I hope you feel better and good luck with the Poco thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts