2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do y'all jug line? I have for a while now but only in tanks. I need a good rig for this... I ususally just use a Prestone Anti-freeze jug (thouroly cleaned and then cleaned again) with a section of 15' of 350 lbs test nylon line or carpenters line from Wally-Mart. with 8/0 circle hooks and a chunk of lead (5lbs) to wieght it down. Is that soundin right to y'all?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm thinking that jug-fishing is about as much a personal choice as the rest of the fishing you can do. People will pick and choose "tackle" for all manner of fishing based on our own likes and dislikes. I think the bottom line here is, do you catch fish with your set-up? If so, then I believe it's perfect. If not, then it probably needs a little adjustment....

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well yes I have cought fish with it but most times the bait (bluegill or mudcat) is just nibbled at. and most of the cats that I catch are tangled up in the line by the time I get to them. Since I only jug-fish in tanks, I usually just set the line in the evenin and the go back teh next mornin to run it. I just want to see what y'all use so maybe I can spin off that with my own rig.....JJ

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
I believe regs require a white jug we use clorox jugs with name and date jug was put in water wrote on jugs with mark a lot. We have picked up 30lb blues and yellows up to 40 lbs, two hook drop, first hook down from jug 3 ft and 2nd hook 6 ft dowm from 1st. Live bait works best for us if we want Yellows.
Lobo Jim

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"I believe regs require a white jug"by lobo jim.

Yes they do requier white jugs however I am fishin private waters so I don't mind the rules...haha. thanx for the input y'all...JJ

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Jumper,

There's jugline fishin' and there's jug fishin' ... jugline bein' stationary.To prevent as many tangles,check it more often.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I ain't sure Jetty Jumper, but 5# of lead seems like an awful lot for a jugline. That sounds more like a throwline weight. the beauty of a jugline is the flotation provides the resistance. of course you have to chase down your jug. I've caught plenty of fish on throwlines too. Set the line length fairly shallow for night on your jugs, as they will end up close to the bank from the wind, and that is where the catfish will be prowling at night. If I ain't right be sure to set me straight. I'd rather be embarassed than skunked anyday!

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fishomaniac, I have expermted all types of weight and 5# seems to perform the best. i have seen one cat just run completly around the tank for 5 minutes with out the jug even submergin. with all that I would've figured on him gettin hooked, but for some strange reason he didn't: just ripped the bait off. thats why I oupted for a larger wieght. seein that I am only fishin in a tank not a lake, I don't have to chase it anywhere but from one side of the tank to the other, at the most 150 yards.....

nighttrain, I am jug fishin. free floatin with a weight at the bottom. I check it often when I set it durin the day, atleast every other hour or so and then sometimes I leave it over night(thats when the tangles happen)...JJ

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Juglines vs.jugs....

Fishomaniac,
I fish jugs often,and if Jettyjumper's talkin' 'bout those,you are correct,suh.
However,it's my understanding that a jugline is like a vertical trotline...weighted at one end and float on the other...now,if I'm wrong ya'll feel free to school me.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My sincere apologies for speaking of something I know nothing about. I honestly have never even heard of the concept. Sounds sort of like a weighted throwline with a float to mark it. If your tank fishing why not just use a throwline or limbline? I cut my teeth as a youngster putting throwlines on my grampa's tanks. He really wasn't too interested in catfish, But if I caught him a turtle now and then he was plenty happy.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if I could I would. there is one tree on the tank bank. and a trowline is OK but tangles are even worse than the jugs so just use the jugs. yea and throwin them lines are dangerous. I had a friend that throwin one and he tripped or something and the hook cought him on the right arm in the inside (oppositte of his elbow). almost punctured that vain there. since the line was tied VERY TIGHT to the dock and he couldn't unknott it, he was stuck there. I had to go cut him loose when I got there a few minutes later....JJ

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fishomaniac said:
LOL Jetty Jumper, I would like to catch a catfish that was already "cleaned"!
i wonder how clean they get?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Your'e dead-on on the safety factor. I been stuck all kinds of ways on throwlines, trotlines, and crankbaits. Lack of bank structure to tie to is a problem so now I understand this method. I don't see how you can prevent the tangles though, since you have that vertical line right next to the fish. Maybe 2 weights spaced apart to keep the fish away from the float line?

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so far I haven't been stuck from a throw line, jug line, etc. yet. thank the good lord. althoogh I have had my unlucky fair share of trebe hooks stuck in my hand. just today I had a bass come unbuttoned and the bait came flyin outa the water and stuck me on the kneee. That hurt bad....:cry:

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
I've read where down in Texas and various other southern places that 2-3 ''hooklines" on one jug is common.Seems even if they're spaced that a world of tangles would be common also.I only do 1 hook/1jug.Ain't worth the trouble for a couple of extra fish.One thing that I DEFINATELY do is stay with my float.I'm there when the jug goes down,or off to the races, or whereever.Cuts down on losin' the fish and people helpin' ya work the jugs...if ya know what I mean.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
night train, I have never heard of a 'hook line', please tell me more.. i'm still kinda new to juggin... thats a cool word, juggin. LOL....JJ

1 - 20 of 36 Posts