2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,m picking up another reel for conventional jigging in the GOM. Need advice. Shimano Torsa 20/30, Trinidad 40N, Avet HX, Accurate 600n or 600NN. Putting on Calstar 700H or XH.

·
Registered
457 Posts
trini or accurate.........keep in mind the trini is star drag the rest are lever drags. i like these better for jigging, especially the tuna you encounter 99% of the time in the GOM. wouldnt bother with 2 speed either. again, the fish there generally arent big enough

that being said - youll likely be happy with any of those.

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,273 Posts
BretABaker,

It sure seems strange to see a PA by your name and not a TX any longer :)

·
Justified
668 Posts
I've got an Avet HX and love it... It is a beast of a reel.. Only reel with more drag is the accurate.. But it is 200$ more... It can catch almost anything out in the gulf

·
Registered
217 Posts
i like star drags for jigging...so i'd go for the trinidad 40...but i have a torsa 40 for tuna fishing...its amazing!

·
Registered
233 Posts
i really like my torsa 16 for jigging.....super smooth and plenty of drag......what is it you guys like about the star drags?

·
Registered
457 Posts
much faster to get in/out of gear. of the yellowfin/bluefin tuna ive jigged, i'd say at least 75% have hit on the way down. its slower to get the lever drag into strike and i've missed bites because of it. with a star its on/off. lever drag reels obviously have some advantages though.

ultimately you just need to decide what you're targeting mostly and what is most appropriate for those fish. in the gulf....the tuna just arent big enough IMO to justify the money for a 2-speed lever drag jigging reel. a saltiga 40 will handle 99% of the tuna youll hook with ease.

its not a bad decision to get one by any means theyre great reels. but i got my trinidad 40 for under $300 brand new (granted, i put some upgrades in it) and it and my ocea 4000p are my workhorse reels. ill prob get a gorilla 20 for bluefin, though - which is lever drag. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
yeah the 12c is a great little reel. not crazy abt the handle but you cant win em all. alutecnos has very little binding. the american companies all have the worst IMO. the new extreme accurates are pretty decent have ive heard the raptors are great but havent seen it so maybe theyre closing in :)

the older models have a stopper going into freespool - i think the newer ones just glide into freespool. nice improvement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts