2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into buying a jigging setup. What reel and rod would be great for this without costing me an arm, leg, and brutal beating from my wife. Spinning reel would be a preference for me. Thanks guys

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
as far as the wife goes.... you need to remember this phrase:

"babe, I've had THAT rod/reel for YEARS...."

the secret is to keep so many rods/reels/guns in your inventory that she can't possibly keep up

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I bought a Penn 7500 SS, spooled it with 300 yards of 65# Power Pro and mounted it to a Shimano Trevala 50-100 rod. I get to use it this weekend for the first time on a 40 hour trip out of Pt. Aransas. If I remember this post I'll let you know how it worked out. $275 for the rig with the line.

·
Most Non Funny
1,834 Posts
Penn Torque!

mount it on your jigging rod of preference

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
WilliamH, are you on the Dolphin 40hr this weekend? I am on it for the next weekend. Post a report. Hope the tuna are around for you.

Domino, I think a Newell 533-4.6 or 5.5 is hard to beat for jigging for the price.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a penn captiva 8000 would this setup work on a trevala rod or would i need something like the penn ss models.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
jig said:
WilliamH, are you on the Dolphin 40hr this weekend? I am on it for the next weekend. Post a report. Hope the tuna are around for you.
Yes, we are booked for this weekend. I'll post a report Tuesday more than likely. Good luck to you too.

·
Most Non Funny
1,834 Posts
Domin0 said:
I have a penn captiva 8000 would this setup work on a trevala rod or would i need something like the penn ss models.
I have a Captiva 6000 that I use for Bay Fishing, and in NO way would the 8000 work, not enough drag power and it has a graphite body that will snap under the pressure.

·
Most Non Funny
1,834 Posts
Domin0 said:
I also have a shimano tek-700 would this work mounted to a jigging rod?
that might work for <40lb fish, load it up w/ some 65lb braid and give her a shot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
DominO

The Shimano Tekota 700 loaded with 65# Braid could do the trick with 24# Max Drag. Remember to set your drag at 1/3 of the leader material pound test. 60# Leader = 20# of drag and a 50# leader is 17# of drag.

If you plan on doing a lot of Jig fishing in the future I'd get an Avet LX 6/3 two Speed.

Bazz

·
Jalapeno!
129 Posts
I was running Daiwa Saltist SST30H and 50H's on Trevala's XH an XXH..

It was a good and cheap combo but I dumped the Trev. rods for Sea Magic Dragon Flys from Chris, being a party boat fisherman I was usually all over the rear (and in everyones way) of the boat with large AJ's and Tuna's..

Reels were 130ish and 150ish on Ebay and the rod is around 160ish at Islanders... I was using Chris's 300g rod for the 30H and the 400g for the 50H..

The reels were decent but for next spring I would like to move up to Trinidads, but that's not really a must..

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Penn 7500 SS...

WilliamH said:
I bought a Penn 7500 SS, spooled it with 300 yards of 65# Power Pro and mounted it to a Shimano Trevala 50-100 rod. I get to use it this weekend for the first time on a 40 hour trip out of Pt. Aransas. If I remember this post I'll let you know how it worked out. $275 for the rig with the line.
WilliamH ... I've had a 7500 for years and never used it so this past week I pulled it out and spooled it with 65# spectra. I'd be curious to know how it does for you too.

Bobby

·
Registered
746 Posts
"babe, I've had THAT rod/reel for YEARS...." and btw I really like that outfit, makes your butt look fantanstic! Did I mention I bought tickets to the new musical playing downtown?

Kyle 1974 said:
as far as the wife goes.... you need to remember this phrase:

"babe, I've had THAT rod/reel for YEARS...."

the secret is to keep so many rods/reels/guns in your inventory that she can't possibly keep up

·
Banned
192 Posts
when involved in a fib on new tackle i prefer ...... Look what i found floating in the GoM, its gotta be worth 500$ i bet the guy that lost it is ******. too bad he didnt get to catch the fish that stole it but his loss is my gain and i didnt have to spend the money. she'll be so happy to think u didnt spend the money she might suggest buying some new lures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts