2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Big Daddy
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to take the kids to the jetties tomorrow morning. Is one anchor good enough to hold the boat? Or do I need 2?

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
Too many variables; how hard is the tide running when you go, how big are the seas, how strong is the wind, how big is your boat, do you have a T top, etc. Take two and you'll be prepared if worst comes to worst. The last place you want to end up with a boat full of kids is up on the rocks.

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,981 Posts
Not sure what good 2 anchors would do. As long as you have the correct size and type for your boat, 1 is all you need. Just be careful out there - sounds like you don't get out there too often......

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,640 Posts
graple type anchors are best for the jetties... using 2 is advantageous when trying to stay over one exact spot.. if you're not trying to stay over one exact spot...1 is plenty. but if you have the extra one..bring it incase you loose one to the jetty gods.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I would never use two anchors out there, you might get really stuck as the weather or current shifts. One danforth anchor with a short chain. If you can't get it loose, cut the rope when it's time to go, like a thousand other people have done. You could invest in an aluminum Fortress anchor, but you might lose that. I had one for years at the jetties, and it must have been a lucky anchor, because I eventually sold it with the boat.

·
Registered
14,376 Posts
graple type anchors are best for the jetties... using 2 is advantageous when trying to stay over one exact spot.. if you're not trying to stay over one exact spot...1 is plenty. but if you have the extra one..bring it incase you loose one to the jetty gods.
These are good because if you get them hung up you can usually pull them out of the rocks, they just straighten out like a spider weight. Be careful, pretty unforgiving near jetties with all the deep water, ships and strong current.

http://www.fishingscout.com/anglers/SmackDaddy

·
Banned
1,851 Posts
trying to not sound like a A H***, but if you're not familiar with the jetties, don't take any kids out there. i've fished em most of my life and i'm on pins and needles when i've got kids onboard. won't even consider it when the wind is up. sorry if this sounds bad but it can be dangerous.

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts