2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out to the SP jetties Saturday morning with TlBullfrog. Wasnt expecting much due to all the rain we recieved recently, but we were hoping for the best. Launched VERY early and went out and tried to catch some shrimp as back-up biat, but we scratched at that. So we went out and started fishing the muddy water. Just a few minutes after we started we bean to catch em. We caught them on TW's until about 7:30 then went to plastics. We ended up with 15 keepers, between 17-21". It was pretty fun, but if we would have had live shrimp we could bave easily caught our 20 very fast.

One of my buddies went out yesterday and they kept 35 trout and 1 red. They had four people, but ran out of shrimp before they reached their limit.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Went back out this morning with my two sons. One doesn't like to fish much, but I "guaranteed" we'd get some fish. So, now I get to eat crow instead of fish...

Left Baytown early this morning. Stopped for live shrimp in Anahuac at 5 a.m., but the shop wasn't open yet. Thought about ringing the door bell, but Linda is way too nice and I figured she could use the sleep. WE took off, thinking I could get some bait when I got there. No place there has live shrimp, evidently. Got a pound or two of "fresh" dead.
We caught some shad and finger mullet at the ramp, and then more mullet out on the water.

Got to the end of the jetties and my 18' Alweld could only take so much. The wind was blowing right up the ICW and we were riding some pretty good rollers. (Weather.com didn't help me this morning.) My boys aren't real experienced fishermen (I'm just learning myself) so I had to help them quite a bit. I was aiming for an 18" trout or bigger, but I have GOT to remember that when I take them, it's their trip. At least until they learn a bit more.

We'll, I tried several spots that slayr had showed me Saturday. None really worked out. Was hard trying to fight with the trolling motor and deal with the boys and fish. Several of the spots we stopped had dolphin close by. I surmised that was not a good sign for fishing.(?). Fished Redfish Point and the Lighthouse, but the water was way too churned up, and we had no live shrimp.

We boxed 2 trout, 15.5" and 17". Aaarrrggghhh!!! Caught one dink in the cast net. Caught some channel cats, and one that looked like it has leprosy! FUNKY!!! I kept it to take pics. or show someone. Not sure if biologists would care to see it or not? Then some heavy rain clouds started rolling our way and we scrambled back to the ramp.

Not much of a report, but at least I wasn't at work!

·
Registered
188 Posts
You can buy live shrimp, mullet and piggy fish at a little bait shop on Hwy 365 pretty close to the West Port Arthur road intersection. The guy sells bait from his house.

If he has shrimp he will have the big yellow "shrimp sign" flying next to the hi-way.

se

·
Registered
188 Posts
Saltwaterfishin_Kris said:
Linda must have been tired because she usually has the bait shop open by then...my hometown is Anahuac but I live in Humble now.
I agree, Kris. She is the nicest lady and business owner. Always very helpful and friendly. The lights weren't on in the house, and I figured she needed her rest. So, I didn't want to ring the bell. Although I know she would have come out if I had.
And, I really wanted some shrimp from her because there's something about that water she keeps the skrimps in. They stay alive forever!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts