2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats is everyones thoughts on using a jetski to run baits out with in the surf and would it have any effect on the fishing lemme know thanks

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
We did it many times last year. It works great. Takes two people one on the jetski and one holding the rod (on shore). Tore up the sharks and bullreds so I don't think it bothered the fishing.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
JetSki Deployed Baits

Some of my fireman buds & I just bought a JetSki just for deployment of
baits in any fishable water...It has worked well so far...It's a little more
complicated than we thought it would be but it works when yakin ain't
an option...The only drawback is it does NOTHING to strengthen the
upper body...For that monster that picks up the bait....
Mustad7731
Jackie

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
be careful

Running baits in a rough surf can be tough.
Sharkski got behind his once.
Snapped his leg.

Be careful.

Oh, the jet can also suck down your line too. LOL
Getting organized before the launch is very important.
At launch it's not time to change a bait or anything.
It's time to go!

Good luck, Paul

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah we have done it a couple times before and it worked well but never got any hook ups we just didnt know if it messed up the fishing or anything

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I do it. If alone, I just take the rod out, drop the weight, and thumb the spool on the way in to shore. I also will just drift out there on the ski if it is calm.

If two people, and deploying several rods, I have FRS radios so my buddy can buzz me when the reel is getting low. I drop the bait and head back in for the second bait, etc. Be careful to know where your lines are; fan them out consistantly. It is a mess if you run over your own. In the fan deployment, the smaller capacity reels go in the center so you can get strait out to deeper water. If you go to the side with low capacity reel, you run out of line and you may only be 25yds from the beach!

Oh, and if some other guy is riding skis in your area, move. He will hit them. If an occasion ski or catamarane passes buy, you can put your rod tip on the ground until he passes and hopefully get your line deep enough.

Beware of the near shore shrimp boats. If you have a high capacity reel, you tend to go way out on a jet ski because it is so easy. I have seen shrimp nets snag lines too far out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts