2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never ran a jet outboard. Question for those of you that have them, how much water to you need to get on plane. I am referring to a properly set up boat, not like what Simmons tried to do a while back with the merc jet.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,260 Posts
What size boat are you considering? The inboard jets do much better for power to weight. Thats why Simmons went that route.

But they hate heavy weight and rough water.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I do use it to guide out of it would be two people max. Those bigger boats don't give much of a weight penalty for their size so they should float in less but if you are lightly on ground then the friction/weight will make a difference one would think....

I am used to boats like the RFL. With a trp if the boat is floating I can get it up (sometimes not too pretty). I can run in whatever depth the hull draws on plane (never stopped to check). I am not really sure a jet will give much more performance?

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,260 Posts
If you cant get it done in a properly setup specifically for shallow water operation RFL you cant get it done in a jet either.

A properly set up RFL specifically to run shallow will be less of a liability than a similarly setup jet boat.

The only advantage comes in those lil 14 ft high powered 1 - 2 man jet scooters that will jump over land. Or in river rock. But in scattered shell where we need to be an oyster shell will set you down immediately.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
If you cant get it done in a properly setup specifically for shallow water operation RFL you cant get it done in a jet either.

A properly set up RFL specifically to run shallow will be less of a liability than a similarly setup jet boat.

The only advantage comes in those lil 14 ft high powered 1 - 2 man jet scooters that will jump over land. Or in river rock. But in scattered shell where we need to be an oyster shell will set you down immediately.
I would like to take you for a ride next gathering:biggrin:

Saturday I was running anything that had water covering it. Mud, sand, oysters. As long as the oysters have water covering them the boat would keep going, I was extremely impressed.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
If I do use it to guide out of it would be two people max. Those bigger boats don't give much of a weight penalty for their size so they should float in less but if you are lightly on ground then the friction/weight will make a difference one would think....

I am used to boats like the RFL. With a trp if the boat is floating I can get it up (sometimes not too pretty). I can run in whatever depth the hull draws on plane (never stopped to check). I am not really sure a jet will give much more performance?
You may not need a jet depending on what the boat drafts while on plane. a 1872 with a jet tunnel will probably reliably run across a flat thats 2" deep.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kinda what I was thinking. As long as there is water the RFL will go in a straight line. 50 yards of running over oysters sticking out of the water no problem, 10 yards of sheet water sand equals a problem.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Why are the SeaArks so sexy?!?!
Not sure but I really like them. I have never seen an aluminum jet boat wider than 72". I wonder what a properly designed tunnel and a wider hull could do. I don't think it could run shallower than mine but it could carry a bunch more weight.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Kinda what I was thinking. As long as there is water the RFL will go in a straight line. 50 yards of running over oysters sticking out of the water no problem, 10 yards of sheet water sand equals a problem.
a RFL will run over dry oysters? Or do you mean just the tips of the oyster bed poking out of the water? I didnt try running anything like that last saturday.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
talk to
Barnards Guide Service

+1 361-510-6655 in rock port him and another guide in rockport run Yamaha powered jet outboards I built for them. Tommy will take you for a ride, just be prepared to talk for a while, LOL> I'm not in the business any more, other than my last boat for sale, 18-56 weldcraft tiller yamaha F60 jet.

too small for more than 3 people and weight kills jet power,

the guides boats are 20-70 with yamaha F150 and 22 vee with yamaha f150 had another guide there running the alweld but he sold it and its back to a owner in Port O connor

1 - 17 of 17 Posts