2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard it on channel 13 and I'm sorry I haven't found a link yet. Cliffs note version.

Due to hurricane Ike, the errosion of the coastline and those houses that now sit on public property, they will be allowed 12 months before those houses will have to removed.

Mr. Patterson said that sometimes the beaches rebuild themselves.

·
Super Moderator
3,739 Posts
And I am sure Chief Idiot Patterson will make sure they are removed at TAXPAYERS expense and the owners are compensated at TAXPAYERS expense! His legacy in office will be titled "Millionaire's Entitlement Programs"

Here's a novel idea Jerry....ENFORCE the EXISTING Texas Open Beach Act LAW that is on the books! Do what you were elected to do!

·
Registered
657 Posts
The same folks that fought us so hard to keep us off our beaches are now on our beach. If our public beaches are unsafe with cars on them,how safe are they with homes with upraised foundations resting on unburied pillars? They got to stop biting the taxpaying hands that have paid millions for sand restoration and beach nourishment projects. All we have done is moved 2nd row homes one row closer to the public domain.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Hey Gary, there's plenty of camping behind the Hollywood Video on 61st. St.

·
3,809 Posts
We need to look at getting one of those dredging machines being used in Saudi......

I looked and could not find a pic or video ( I'm not that good at that ) but I remember seeing a video not long ago on this sand blasting boat that could throw sand 100 yd's so so through in the air sculpting this island they are building.

This thing could totally rebuild ( reclaim )the beaches.

BTW: IMHO if the beaches are not reclaimed soon there will not be a West Beach, or any other low lying Beach down there....

MB

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Told folks years ago not to vote that idiot into office! Instead of trying to show a little compassion for people that lost everything along the beach, he adds insult to injury by saying they own nothing now.

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Jerry Patterson does not have the constitutional authority to suspend enforcement of the open beaches act. Only the legislature can suspend enforcement of a law. The change to the OBA that he got through in 2005 will not stand up to constitutional review.

Write to you state congressmen and senators protesting the land commissioner usurping their constitutional powers. I am sending an email to the attorney general protesting this action. Will also send it to the federal coastal management program offices at NOAA. They told the land office that the GLO HAD TO ENFORCE THE OBA regarding the 100+ houses that were on the beach BEFORE Ike.

I don't have much opportunity to get on computers right now as I still am not allowed to get to my house and my office is history, but will try to get some email addresses for you to submit your gripes. The feds, particularly, want to hear from regular folks about issues like beach access and enforcement of laws.

GY

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking, GY. Where in the TOBA does it state they can wait a year to see if it gets any better?? Nowhere. What's to stop Patterson from making it 5 years? GRRRR

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
The beach homes now in the surf zone have 1 year to hope for beach and dune line re-building. If you look at the GLO maps these had hit areas from Gilcreast to Surfside are not "ADD" beaches. These areas as loosing land to the gulf and will continue to do so at a ever more rapid rate. No $$ exist for significant beach nurishment. Galveston has put millions of dollars of sand on it's beaches only to see it gone in a few years.

The only significant add beach in Texas is at Matagorda Beach. All of the sand Gaveston puts on it's beaches ends up here as well as sand pushed out of the Brazos.

If you build back on a barrier island build high, strong and simple and on the bay side. Small open concept - hip roofed homes constructed of concrete, on concrete piles w/ ICF (insulating concrete forms) should be the rule not the exception. The only home that survived at Cystal Beach was 19-ft above sea level and it experienced significant damage and is now very close to the surf line.

One of these days a similar hurricane will hit Corpus around the visitor center at PINS and the multi-million dollars in wood framed homes sitting on sand ~9-ft above sealevel on Mustang and N. Padre Island will be history.

The places are called barrier islands for a reason - build to suit the enviroment not attempt to change the enviroment to suit your desires. We have had it backwards too long.

Unless we re-divert spring flood flow of the Mississippi into the gulf, destroy all the dams on Texas rivers to divert sand landen storm flood flow back into the gulf - our beaches will disappear over time as required sand is settling out behind dams or dumped in to deep water channeled out by leeves. The only river in Texas moving sand to a beach is the Brazos.

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
That's the risk they take for building right on the beach. Meanwhile, their houses are on public beaches.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
"One of these days a similar hurricane will hit Corpus around the visitor center at PINS and the multi-million dollars in wood framed homes sitting on sand ~9-ft above sealevel on Mustang and N. Padre Island will be history. "

For those familiar with Port A it's not outside the realm of possibility that a storm could push the dune line back to about 11th street, South Padre Island is also ripe for the dune line to be pushed back. You could have multi story hotels and condos on state land.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
i'm not understanding all the hoorah about the GLO and the beaches and houses, this stuff has been on the books for over 25 years.

you build beach front or even close to beach front, you risk losing your home to the state if you are washed past the dune line..........that's the price you pay to gamble for an ocean view.

very unfortunate, yes, but not a new law

if your house ends up beach front and you were a row back, wouldn't you appreciate a year to let the dust settle and see where the dunes rebuild ?

Texas beach erosion is a fact, it is gonna happen.

Now as for pilings and concrete, that needs to come out at the former homeowners expense, since it will not be rebuilt.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
You're right. The low lying beaches will disappear. You can fight nature, but you can't beat it, even with beach replenishing.
MB said:
We need to look at getting one of those dredging machines being used in Saudi......

I looked and could not find a pic or video ( I'm not that good at that ) but I remember seeing a video not long ago on this sand blasting boat that could throw sand 100 yd's so so through in the air sculpting this island they are building.

This thing could totally rebuild ( reclaim )the beaches.

BTW: IMHO if the beaches are not reclaimed soon there will not be a West Beach, or any other low lying Beach down there....

MB

·
Registered
346 Posts
CoastalOutfitters said:
if your house ends up beach front and you were a row back, wouldn't you appreciate a year to let the dust settle and see where the dunes rebuild ?

no...because some if not most flood insurances will pay for erosion damage due to the policies said definition of "flood" which includes tidal surge but not for gradual erosion. Plus how about those that renovate and say it takes 6+ months to get their house fixed only to have their house condemned by the state 6 months later. I do have a horse in this race and I'm okay with the decision to take my house but postponing it for 12 months is not helpful to any involved...neither the beachgoing public nor the homeowners. Good luck trying to get an insurance company to accept a flood claim due to erosion from hurricane Ike 12 months after landfall.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Something else to consider. Any hard structure that the waves can come in contact with will accelerate erosion. I wonder how Sams beach held up where there is no development?

·
Registered
346 Posts
i take that back i'm not okay with it but it was a risk i did assume...it's going to be a huge hit on the tax base for both cities like surfside and especially galveston as those properties on the west end are valued at millions of dollars each...I assume that money will be made up somewhere..right?!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts