2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to try making jerky.My kids and all their friends love it and eat it all before I get any.I remember seeing some talk about jerky on here in the past.Thanks

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Try the receipe forum...I'm looking for someone to make up some turkey jerky to sell..;0)

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
I've tried several different recipes over the yrs, and personally like the kit of spices that you can buy at Krogers - "Hi Mountain jerky cure & seasoning." I always have to make sure they slice the roast thicker than what THEY think it needs to be.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Jerry you get your meat already slices at the deli? now that's an idea.that way you can marinade and lay on a cooling rack in a shallow pan and place in a low temp oven..now you gone and made me figure this out and I have to do it....dang it...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Badhabit my man,you would be a busy and popular man around here.That is just awesome looking jerky.
I saw where you use a smoker,have you ever tried one of the dehydrators?

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
kj said:
Badhabit my man,you would be a busy and popular man around here.That is just awesome looking jerky.
I saw where you use a smoker,have you ever tried one of the dehydrators?
Nope, only the smoker, I like REAL smoke, not some flavor in a bottle...lol

·
Registered
933 Posts
well, I know I must defer to the expert, Badhabit, however...

I cut the roast fairly thin, 3/16", then season with Konriko Cajun Spice (Krogers), and soak about 24 hours in a mix of Worcestershire, and Soy sauce. Spread out and cover in course ground black pepper, then to a cool, smoky smoker for about 15-20 minutes, then to the dehydrator till dry.

When folks see that little bag of jerky in my truck, fights have broken out, gotta hide it in my console if I want to eat any.

Bogey

·
6,428 Posts
bogey999 said:
well, I know I must defer to the expert, Badhabit, however...

I cut the roast fairly thin, 3/16", then season with Konriko Cajun Spice (Krogers), and soak about 24 hours in a mix of Worcestershire, and Soy sauce. Spread out and cover in course ground black pepper, then to a cool, smoky smoker for about 15-20 minutes, then to the dehydrator till dry.

When folks see that little bag of jerky in my truck, fights have broken out, gotta hide it in my console if I want to eat any.

Bogey
LOL...It's ALL good my brutha.... I gotta hide mine too, even in the house...lol

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Goags said:
I've tried several different recipes over the yrs, and personally like the kit of spices that you can buy at Krogers - "Hi Mountain jerky cure & seasoning." I always have to make sure they slice the roast thicker than what THEY think it needs to be.
For quick and easy i second the High Mountain

·
Registered
968 Posts
This is my recipe...

1 bottle Liquid smoke...Mesquite flavor...pour into a bowl
Fill empty bottle with soy souce pour into bowl
1-2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
2-3 table spoons of Tiger Sauce
garlic salt
course ground pepper
cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes if you want heat

3.5 lbs of wet meat make 1lb of dried jerky. I like to use the eye of round also...have it slice with a 15 setting of the slicer (I ususally go to Krogers) with the grain of the meat.

I place the meat into a shallow cake pan and pour the mixture over the meat, making sure the meat gets coated all parts. I leave the meat in the mixture for maybe an hour.

I use a dehydrator to cure the meat. Place the meat on the trays. After filling a tray, I sprinkle the meat with a light dusting of garlic salt and course ground pepper. I set the dehydrator on high which is about 145 degrees and leave it on for about 8hrs, rotating the trays every two hours.

I have used this recipe for many years and it works for me...and the others that have purchased and eaten my jerky...Vic

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
SOMEONE PLEASE put some up for sale!!!!...

·
6,428 Posts
NurseD-bait said:
SOMEONE PLEASE put some up for sale!!!!...
I'll reserve ya some on my next batch, I usually do about 5lbs on a weekend when I do it.... I'm sure I can spare some to a friend like you... :biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts