2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i forgot about how long it took to mix this finish when i used it 30 years ago. buddyboys rod you can see my toughes in the finish. it is tacky becaused i did not mix it long enough and did not use as much as 20 cc of mix. i know i can mix 10cc or 5cc of flex coat or classic coat and not have to mix it as long and it will harden. iwas trying to make the rod special and use gene bullard finish no following the direction close enough and i mest up..

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think you mean "Gene".

Not the same finish as what he sold all those years ago but still an excellent product. A Bullard family member is selling a version of it now. I do not find that it takes more than three minutes of stirring and more than four to six cc of mix to set and cure just fine.

You might want to check the temperature in your shop and see where it stands. If its less than seventy, you just need to allow more time for it to fully harden.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I haven't heard Gene's name in years. I still have 3 of his rods - an early 70's bass rod he made for my ex-FIL, a 20# IGFA work of art he built for me in '77 or '78, and a boat rod he built to match a customer's boat and took back in trade when he got a new boat. Downed a bunch of Miller Lite sitting around his old shop in Dallas.

·
Texas Rod Builders
6,338 Posts
There are very few people who have done more for the early days of rodbuilding than Gene Bullard (Snagglebass). Much of what we do today, was done first, by him. I've tried the new "Diamond II" finish and like it very well. Like MOST finishes, it's a 1:1 mix ratio and stir it till CLEAR, and then stir s'more. Most problems with any finish can be attributed to either, not mixed thoroughly or 50/50 mix was inaccurate. Usually another light overcoat of properly measured and mixed finish will take care of any tackiness or non-cure problems.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I use Diamond II exclusively. I have tried them all but D2 is the best, most forgiving that I have found. I have never had a problem with tackiness. It has fewer problems with bubbles and a longer pot life but faster cure time. I am not particularly careful stirring but I do measure carefully. I don't spread it out on tinfoil or heat it. It just seems to work for me.
Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts